DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

RTS 1 shutter cocking

E

eugenio

Hi everybody, nedd your help!! I've just received a RTS I, already had a 139, I noticed the shutter cocking lever of RTS is rougher and more "contrasted" to actuate than 139's one. Is this normal, or symptom of possible troubles? For the rest all work perfectly. Thank you

Posted by Tom on Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 1:28 pm:

Hi everybody, need your help!! I've just received a RTS I, already had a 139, I noticed the shutter cocking lever of RTS is rougher and more "contrasted" to actuate than 139's one. Is this normal, or symptom of possible troubles? For the rest all work perfectly. Thank you

========

Well, I've had an RTS since they were first released here in the U.S. and I can say that, without doubt, it has the roughest-feeling and sounding gear train in the advance lever system of any camera I have used.

I think it is not up to Contax standards but it has always been that way.

DAW

thank you Don, now I'm more confident in my RTS, and now the "drrraaanngg" of the lever is also become sympatique to me!

All of the RTS I's i've tried and used have that noisy grinding on advance. I've learned to tune it out. What's really helped is the use of my winder W-3 or MD W-6. I think the noise of those units mixed with the camera make for a most impressive and intimidating professional sound. They sure know you are not digital. Sort of stands out as a roughneck photographer ready for action. Enjoy and intimidate!

> Ok Manuel, thank to you too. Perhaps it's only over-caution, but with gears older than me I prefere to stay so, ears wide open! Ok, I confess I listen to also my new Aria... less to a Zorky, howewer. By the way, a RTS user said to me to never use manual lever cocking with RTW winder attached. I never detach it, and keep going with manual or RTW indifferently. What's your opinion? Can this way cause damage? Thank you, Tom

>Posted by Tom on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 8:45 pm: > > > Ok Manuel, thank to you too. Perhaps it's only over-caution, but >with gears older than me I prefer to stay so, ears wide open! Ok, I >confess I listen to also my new Aria... less to a Zorky, however. By >the way, a RTS user said to me to never use manual lever cocking with >RTW winder attached. I never detach it, and keep going with manual or >RTW indifferently. What's your opinion? Can this way cause damage? >Thank you, Tom

My take on this:

I have been doing this very thing for years. I still have the manual for the camera but the manual for the winder is long gone.

Surely someone has the winder manual.

It seems to me that I never saw any such caution in the manuals when I bought the system. In addition, the output drive on the winder has a ratchet which allows you to manually advance the film without turning anything inside the winder other than the output drive coupler itself.

If anyone better information I'd be pleased to be better informed.

DAW

Does anybody know where I can have my RTS serviced in germany?
There is some dust and hair in the viewfinder, the mirror d&ing is falling apart and the seals in the film chamber don't look that good anymore.

Regards

Volker

perhaps at Yashica/Contax in Hamburg, Eiffestrasse, have a look at the yellow pages for exact adress. ;-) Paul

Volker,

you could try direct at Kyocery in Hamburg. However, you expect they're telling you that there won't be anymore all spare parts available for the RTS I which was my experience :-( . However mirror d&ing and seals should be available, IMO. Other possibility is Foto Huppert in Wuppertal. Regards Thomas

Update to my last posting - repair of RTS I .
When my RTS showed several malfunctions Kyocera Germany in Hamburg told me a repair would be unlikely due to non availability of spare parts. However they advised me to contact Foto Huppert in Wuppertal / Germany. Followed that advise and they could fix everything! Apparently they have a decent stock of spare parts. For anyone who is interested their website is: http://www.foto-huppert.de/
Thomas

Back