DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New - Nikon Z 180-600 and 70-180

Blufftonian

Nikon just announced new zooms, the Z 180-600 f/5.6-6.3 VR at $1,696.95 and the Z 70-180 f/2.8 at $1,246.95.

I'm still happy with my D500, 200-500 and 500 PF but if/when Nikon brings out a pro-quality APS-C replacement for the D500 I'll probably buy one and these two lenses will also be on my shopping list.

More from B&H here.

Lots of happy chatter on the internet today... They both look like nice lenses and very price competitive too.
Useful that they can work with the 1.4 and 2.0 TC.
Not that probably it makes a huge difference in real life, but I wonder why 70-180 and not the "typical" 70-200.

Lots of happy chatter on the internet today... They both look like nice lenses and very price competitive too.
Useful that they can work with the 1.4 and 2.0 TC.
Not that probably it makes a huge difference in real life, but I wonder why 70-180 and not the "typical" 70-200.
I have to wonder what AF at f/13 will be like though. :rolleyes:

To be used judiciously, I guess. Single Center point focus and on a very bright day :LOL:

To be used judiciously, I guess. Single Center point focus and on a very bright day :LOL:
No :)

Being Z lenses they only fit Z bodies.

Z bodies have a much brighter viewfinder at f13 than DSLRs - and all AF points across about 85% of the frame work reasonably.

While the AF does not work as well as with an f2.8 lens it works respectably with a 2x on my 800 millimetre f6.3.

As Z AF performance starts on the sensor, I see no reason to assume AF will be any less effective on the 180 –600 mm.

An advantage of the 70-180 is that in addition to being a light weight f2.8 zoom, it replaces the long gone F mount 70–180 macro zoom.

At minimum focus is it covers a 3.15 inch subject on FX – which is more magnification than with the old F mount lens at minimum focus.

It gets very close to 1:1 magnification with the 2X converter at an f5 .6 equivalent maximum aperture, with an about 2 feet 2 inches working distance (distance from the front element to subject).

Used in DX crop mode on something like perhaps a Z8 it has very close resolution your D 500 with the advantages of much improved AF and many more better performing Z lenses lenses available - though not inexpensive to buy.

I'm pretty sure that some day I'll be moving over to ML, but right now any inadequacies in my photography are much more my down to me than my D500.

Back