DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax N1

Hi! Folks.
Many thanks for your comments, the body has certainly got to be rectifyed, its no use putting up with something that is inferior.
I was rather puzzled at one time as to why I was not getting perfectly sharp pictures, now it all adds up.
Rick, and Jeff, what is the quality of your pics like? guess they must be OK, or else you would be posting on this board relating to the quality.
Cheers Ken.

Ken..
I am, without question, the world's crappiest photographer. No contest. The worst.
Remarkably, I've been getting all kinds of compliments on my photography since last September. My wife has even framed some of it. People at work ask me to take pictures. The only difference is the N1.

Outstanding quality...
Jeff in Colorado

I have an old but working Sunpak 433D flash unit. It was purchased to work with Canon manual focus cameras, and says "Dedicated for Canon Cameras" on the back . Does anyone know if this will work with my N1? Will I fry the N1 if I try it? The unit has three contacts on the foot that fits into the shoe. Thanks for any advice.

> It would be foolish to risk it. On units with a removable shoe, get a C/Y adapter, if available. Otherwise, use some sturdy vinyl tape (as the kind to stripe cars), covering the contacts except for the center and ground. Another thing: Some flash units are high voltage triggered (250v), and others I've checked (Nikon) are 9v. I would use it either on Manual or automatic set by the flash itself. (NOT TTL). Best wishes, T. Chin

> I have an old but working Sunpak 433D< Can you not get the Contax dedicated shoe for it. I think it's called Y/C something. Someone on the list will know the number for sure. Just release the Canon shoe and put on the Contax one. Jeff

>Thanks, Jeff. Sounds easy enough. I assume it's a Sunpak part, not Contax. Do I remove the Canon shoe just by taking out the small screws?

>Thanks, Jeff. Sounds easy enough. I assume it's a Sunpak part, not Contax. <

Yes, a Sunpak part. On my 444D it's aYC-1D. I think it's the same for the 433D. You remove it by opening the battery compartment, just inside should be a small silver tab that you pull to release the hot (foot?), the part that goes into the hot shoe on the camera. No screws to remove. I've seen this part on ebay a couple of times. You'd get it right away from Sunpak and I think it's not that much money. The flash won't have any autofocus features or do second curtain sync, but I think it does TTL and the ready light etc. Jeff

Ken..
I am, without question, the world's crappiest photographer. No contest. The worst.
Remarkably, I've been getting all kinds of compliments on my photography since last September. My wife has even framed some of it. People at work ask me to take pictures. The only difference is the N1.

Outstanding quality...

Hey Jeff,
Do not despair. I hope to be right there with you in the "crappiest photographer" category...LOL. It is because the N1 can make photogs like you and I look good that I'm seriously looking to buy one in the near future. I've been researching several camera options, and thus far, I have not seen anything to has the qualities I've been looking for in a camera...its lenses(spelling?).

Oscar..
You will be amazed at the sharpness of the pictures. It really is different...and non photographers notice it too. I am getting similar sharpness from the 70-300 and the 24-85.
Jeff

Jeff,
Thanks plenty for your input. Do you post your pics anywhere online? Is so, I'd like to take a look at your work, and no worries, I not those high falutent types that like to shootdown other's work. I just love to see what others produce and take it all in. Once I get my N1, I'll be putting them online for others to see and enjoy (I hope). Take it easy brah.
Oscar

Back