DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica 3070mm F35

G

Has anyone had any experience with this lens..how does it compare? Thanks....

Dear Harold,

I have owned this lens for over ten years. Had it serviced at Solms a few years ago. On the recommendation of Erwin Puts bought the new 1:4/35-70 and cannot distinguish the difference. I am sure on an optical bench there is an improvement, however with 16"x24" prints or projected by a 100x factor it is identical.

I am now deciding which one to sell!

Best wishes.

Justin

With most of us printing at 16"x24" or smaller, does that mean that it is more advisable to get the older lens at a lower price? Just curious.

With most of us printing at 16"x24" or smaller, does that mean it is advisable to buy older lenses at a lower price? Answer: It depends on the lens. Some of the older lenses I prefer. Some of the current are fabulous.

Notice that there are 67mm thread (Germany) and 60mm thread (Japan) in f3.5 35-70mm VARIO ELMAR-R zoom. Any big difference between these two version? Many thanks.

David

I dont know much about these lenses, but I beleive the 35-70 f/3.5 VarioElmar (updated version introduced c.1988)had E67 filter thread. The current version 35-70 f/4 VarioElmar has an E60 filter thread. I cant remember if either of these lenses were/are made in Japan for leica.

Hope this info is helpful, craig

The "German" E67 is said to be better than the "japanese" E60 but both were made in Japan if i remember well.
The German (under) is more expensive too.

43923.jpg

Dear David,

The optical cells of both f/3,5 are identical.

The only difference was the mount; The E67 did not rotate and thus was easier to use with the polarising filter.

All 35-70 lenses are Japanese and very good.

Best wishes,

Justin

Dear LCT,

The E67 lenses were made in Japan but mounted in Germany, hence the rather misleading representation.

Justin

Hi Justin

Totally agree - I purchased the first series 35-70 made by Minolta for Leica SLR - and still have it. Joseph Low / Singapore

Back