DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica 3070mm F35

Thank you very much for the information.

All Best Wishes....

David
happy.gif

>Talking about lenses made in Japan, does anyone know the Sigma for Leica >APO 50-200mm f3.5-4.5? I was told that this lens was 'unauthorised' and >had to be withdrawn because Leitz threatened to go to Court.

If this is so, I wonder how Tamron are able to continue manufacturing their Leica ADAPTALL mount? (referred to in a recent post)

Regards

Dear Francis,

I have not heard of the Sigma 50-200. Can you tell us more please?

Kind regards,

Justin

>Well, apart from the fact that I have the lens, and IMHO it's superior to >the Leitz zooms (which are now made by Sigma???) I can answer questions? I >believe it dates from the early 1970s and then was discontinued.

A question to clarify the discussion on the recent history of the Vario-Elmar 35-70. The f3.5 lens had an E60 filter thread and was fully made in Japan.

The lens mount was then redesigned (intro 1988) with the front barrel no longer rotating. (the optical system was not changed just the mount) As a result the filter thread size was increased to E67. This lens was made in Japan but assembled in Germany. Thus, engraved “Germany†instead of “Japanâ€.

The current (intro 1997) f4 35-70 Vario-Elmar has gone back to the E60 thread size. Is it also made in Japan but assembled in Germany?

Is this a correct summary of the Vario-Elmar 35-70?

Thanks in advance, Craig

Yes Craig,

I think the f/3.5 optical cell was a Minolta design and the f/4.0 designed at Solms but the cell made by Sigma in Japan and shipped to Germany for assembly.

Justin

Dear David,

There is no such thing as Leica glass. The glass lab at Wetzlar was closed in the late eighties.

Justin

Back