DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Recommendations

Bob,
Thanks for your email and you advice. Maybe that's what he meant -that the motherboard could not support additional memory but I have looked up my motherboard manual and it says that it can have a maximum of 3GB.
He did say Windows couldn't use it above a certain amount and that people install 2 or 3GB but it was just a waste. I had always understood that the more memory the better as you all confirm.
I wonder if Windows not using it is different from Photoshop benefiting from more memory.
I think that probably I need to be looking for a more powerful computer now that I am using the scanner and Photoshop.
I will check what file size I get without multi-scanning
John

John,
I'm no computer or software professional, just startet working back in the 80'with msdos. Afaik a n y version of windows is just a "translator" between soft- and hardware. So, if the "translator" can't adress more than 512 MB, PS is also limited to that amount of memory. That's why PS CS is only running with XP. As your'e working with xp, there should be no limitations regarding ram ( yes, yes I know there are limits - but I think we are not talking about differences between 32 and 64 systems - do we?)

Ciao, wolfie

Wolfie,
Thanks for your message. That makes sense. I think I shall put back my other 512MBs and see what happens. I'm also going to look for a new computer with a more powerful processor because that seems really the one item I cannot upgrade without all sorts of hassle and other ramifications.
Cheers,
John

Back