DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Whatbs the final verdict about 300mm f4

Hi Edward, How about a few shots/crops for us ?
happy.gif

Hi Edward,

Thanks for that, it shows what a superb lens that 18mm is. The colours are lovely and the resolution is great, and what a lovely place to be in. Thanks again.

I do not think you can get this kind of image result with the DSLR. Imagine if you fit your Zeiss 18mm f4 to Canon 5D of IDs2, you will get good resolution of fine details, but the colour rendition will not be as good.

What you are achieving now is better than any DSLRs.

Well, the colors are definitely the result of the lens/film combination, Zeiss couldn't have done it alone without the help of our good old friend Fujichrome Velvia 50. However, I have to admit that perhaps in resolution terms Zeiss glass is not always the best, and resolution is only important when you make huge enlargements. Zeiss glass has 2 clear advantages that are much more important to normal picture taking than resolution: color and contrast.

After I quit digital, I bought 2 Canon film bodies to go with my EF lenses. Color is subjective si I can't really comment other than I really prefer Zeiss colors by far. But contrast is another story. I always had to boost the contrast on scanned files from my Canons, but now that I'm back to Contax, I sometimes feel there is a little too much contrast, which is great for the perception of sharpness in normal sized enlargements.

Hmmm, how did we get from the 300mm to the wides & zoom? Better get the thread back on track ... I need a long lens for December - my longest currently is the CZ 180mm - I'm torn between the Canon 100-400mm/4 IS L and the CZ 300mm/4 ...

Nice Pics!!!

My longest lens currently is also the 180mm but I've also bought the Mutar III which gives me a nice 250mm f/4, untill I get myself the 300mm f/4.

Back