DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Canon FD 85mm f12 L vs CZ 85mm f12

A

antonyb

what does everybody think? is the Canon FDn 85mm f1.2 L any good? I am especially interested in this manual version as it seems to be good value (comapred to the CZ and Canon's EOS versions).

Thanks

Ant

The FD lens is not an eos lens with manual focus!
I understand there is an FD-EOS adapter, but I have heard it's limited in the range of lenses as it has an optical element it. Perhaps someone else can correct me.

ahh ok. thanks for enlightening me. i shall look into it more.
blush.gif

Hi antony, I have owned the EOS flavor EF 1.2/85 L for many years. What I did not like: Autofocus was f... slow (on an EOS 620) and manual focusing did not work at all with my Revision of this lens (but some later S/N might be able to do manual override) , and this kind of lens is very sensitive to flare. I think the other to lenses you mentioned flare a lot too. The older FD 1.2/85mm L needs an old T90 body as mentioned.
Finally I found myself stepping down usually to f/8 and f/11 for depth of field. So it was stupid to keep it because I never shoot at its peak of f/4

The new Canon 85/1.2 Mk II is a fantastic piece of glass IMO. I think it is significantly better than the older version, but cost $600 more. You can get it for $2,100. I am planning to get one soon.

Bobby

Back