DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

When is a scratch important

9designs

Just picked up a used 135 F2.8, cleaned up well. When I was checking it in the dealers I noticed a black spec on the rear element, which the dealer cleaned off with a lint free cloth, though I can’t be sure I think it caused a couple of semi-circular marks on the rear element, which you can see if you angle it to the light at the right angle.
Now I know the whole point of CZ lens is the optical quality, but is this likely to be serious. Should I take it back, got it for 139 UK pounds, which is cheap for 135MM.

Thanks
Steve T

The likelihood is that they are stain marks from the cloth. Try clean it with lens tissue with a little lens cleaning fluid. If they don't go away, then they are scratch marks. You can point the rear of the lens at a table l& at an oblique angle and look through from the front element. A few fine hair line marks have very little effect on optical quality but it does affect its re-sale value. A used 135 Sonnar costs about 200-270 pounds. So your lens seems quite cheap.

It gets worse, tried it out at the weekend and found that it does quite achieve infinite focus, looking at a power pylon a mile or two away the split image didn’t align, it seemed to need a another fraction of a turn to perfectly focus/align. I guess at this range the image would come out fine, but not really the point. I’m disappointed now, so this and the scratches, marks made in the coating from what I can see, means I will return it on Saturday. Shame, as the exterior/grip cleaned up really well.

Steve T

I think what you are describing is quite normal. The lens has the ability to focus "beyond infinity", which is useful in extreme temperatures. To focus at a distant object you need to turn a little from the stop.

No mine is working the other way around, it's not reaching infinity, it's not going past it.

Look at the pictures - if they are sharp, its probably a problem with your mirrow. Do you use a split image finder? That is an oldfashioned system. Same applies to the scratches - take a photo, have a look. If the picture is okay, everything is ok. As a rule of thum, a scratch on the front lens is not a big problem, a scratch on a rear element can significantly affect the quality of picture.

The scratches were visable from viewing the rear of the lens off the camera, I've returned it know and got a mint condition one for £35 more ;-)

Back