DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Kodak DCS Zeiss CY

<Albert, why aren't you enjoying you CZ on canon experience? seems contrary to 'popular' opinion..?>

1. I don't have a full frame body
2. I don't have any existing collection of C/Y lens, the price for any of those exotic C/Y lens, like 21mm, are so expensive and hard to find. So so C/Y lenses are not that much better than Canon primes (like 35 f/1.4, 85 f/1.2 or 135 f/2) with all things considered (AF, Metering).
3. I use Canon gear mainly for wedding. So I need something fast. Anything else I tend to use my ND nowadays. When I first got my 20D with the 17-85IS, I really love it. I could never put it down since the image of 20D is so clean especially in hi ISO, AF was so fast and accurate comparing to Contax, the E-TTL II just blow my mind, and the 17-85IS lens is really nice walk-around/travel lens.
4. Popular opinion has two sides, you hear many said how great the C/Y + Canon combo is, and it is all true. But a lot of time I see the same group of people sold their C/Y lens eventually and buy back Canon glasses, or move into Leica. Yes, the popular trend is onto Leica now.
5. I spent a lot of time considering and researching the C/Y Canon opinion. I know how great the CZ lenses are, and very unhappy the color & bokeh of Canon lenses. In the end, I decided to keep my funds for a future digital back for my C645. Then I can use the AF CZ lenses I already own.
6. It is all personal. But I do envy the people that uses C/Y lenses on their Canon body and produce great images.

>On evilBay 21mm just sold for $4200!!! At the same time on German eBay went for $2525. there is one up now #7528098470.

I have given up on the CZ 21
sad.gif
. I got a new Leica 21-35 zoom from Germany instead for a bit less than half of the $4K the 21 goes for, which I just found out is being held by FedEx in Memphis on some stupid clearance thing, I have no idea what since nobody's answering now. The CZ 18mm I got from Italy through UPS had no such problems - UPS billed me for the import tax after delivery.

My other "exotic" is the Leica 100mm 2.8 APO Macro, which I got used in excellent condition for $1350. Everything else I have is CZ "so-so" as Albert puts it
happy.gif
. I need to post some of the 100 APO shots - nothing impresive content-wise but you can get an idea of the lens.

I still kept the 24-70L and the 100EF in case I need to shoot action, but they're just basically collecting dust, as my usual landscapes, trees and shrubs are fairly slow-moving and I'm having pretty good luck with the occasional people and fowl / animal / bug shots.

I have to admit that often the differences are hard to appreciate from these web JPEGs. But you get a nicely printed 13x19 - WOW!

i have the 17-85 is usm for my web work... and a ef 75-300mm.

everything else will be cz. :eek:)

Back