DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

M6 Shutter bInnacuracyb vs M7 Electronic Shutter

James,

I would recommend getting an M7 if your Leica rangefinder will be kept long term. I have both an M6TTL and an M7, and will usually prefer to use the M7 for most situations, and the M6 as a back up. The later versions of the M7 have the updated MP viewfinder which does make it easier to focus, and glare on the focusing patch is not as evident with high contrast motifs. Furthermore, having AE with the M7 makes taking quick candids a joy to handle. DX coding is another feature that is extremely useful on the M7. In the heat of the battle so to speak, the DX coding feature ensures that you won't forget to adjust the ASA setting. I find that the electronic shutter of the M7 is a little quieter than the M6. With the M7, I use a Metz 54 MZ-4 flash and with the M7, I will usually use the rear curtain sync which is a feature the M6 doesn't have.

As far as buying a used body, one has to be extremely careful since there is no way to know the history of the body. Buying new is always preferred, but a new M7 is a sizable investment. Perhaps you could inquire with a Leica dealer to see if they might have a factory demo M7 with warranty available.

If I was in the market for an M body, based on my experience with using both, I would prefer to go with an M7 at all costs over an M6.

Regards,
Dale

Why not consider an MP or M3 ?

Electronic M7 and M6 do fail in adverse conditions. They can also fail as time goes by. The mechanical cameras are more reliable in the long run.

In terms of investments in the long run, MP holds the price better than M7. The figure of the sale of new MP is better than M7.

If you are a heavy user of the cameras, you will understand how important reliability is.

For what it's worth: Erwin Puts measured the shutterspeeds from the M6, next to the M7 in an M7-test review.
Puts said that both cameras were intense used, with starting this test.
See the link below:

url]

My choice is also gonna be the M7. Not because of the AE-feature. But because of the on/off-button, at the shutterspeed-dial.
At the M6/MP this is only possible with an separate on/off-switch, named the 'Rose'. But this isn't in production anymore.
I've heard from an M6-owner, that his camera run through 2 batteries in an short time. Because the release-button can be easily pressed in the bag.
sad.gif

Marco -- Thanks, that's potentially interesting. However, what are the +ve and -ve values? 100ths? 1000ths? Whole seconds? Percentages? Cheers, James

Hey James,

Erwin Puts doesn't mention that. But i guess those are percentages.

Cheers, and have an good choice.
happy.gif

Marco

Marco, Thanks for that. I have to say that if those are percentages then the M7 looks far more likely to get accurate exposures in all the most used speed ranges for handheld work (where I'll mostly be using it). Although only the 1000th is truly concerning - 30% is way beyond the latitude of slide film and pushing the latitude of print film as far as I'm aware... Hmm... Food for thought indeed! Cheers, James

James:

A few tidbits:

As I recall Erwin Puts wrote that that the M7 was Leica's best.

I have a 52 year old Zeiss that is strong and has a Compur (leaf) shutter that still works. The original transistor still works too. My 25 year old OM 2's electronic shutter still works well, if not excellent, the metering is excellent, and so is it's AE exposure.

Zeiss states that their new viewfinder is the widest available and technically can't get any wider. "the base is 77mm effective 55mm".

So, whether than, just considering component quality issues, I would suggest determining what features will serve your photographic needs and desires. Eg. point and shoot, do you want to carry a meter all the time, do you want TTL metering, and flash, DX etc.

After you determine what fits your needs then get the one you really want, even if you have to wait awhile, as you will eventually buy one later or always wish you had.

Good Luck:

Gilbert

James, The M6 is a "mechanical" camera, not electronic as Joseph suggests. If you are worried about "on/off" and battery drain then store the camera uncocked, as I do. 30% is less than a 1/3rd of a stop and well within the latitude of negative film, and acceptable for slide film. As previously mentioned, it's the "consistency" that's important. Lastly, on the issue of reliability and adverse conditions;I've had mine since Leitz became Leica(solms vs wetzlar)and have used my Leicas in minus 57 degrees celsius with no problems whatsoever, with the camera. You just don't get those temperatures on the IOW !!!
In summary from my experience, the M6 is Mechanical, Reliable and Accurate. The M7 may be some of these too, but it won't take better pictures and you'll have money left over for lenses, etc.
Historically, Leica is known for its mechanical and engineering precision, not for its electronics. Many will recall the early disasters of the R4 when Leitz were using Ferranti sourced electronic parts. As I said earlier, I don't know who makes the electronic shutter of the M7 but I doubt if it's Leica. I believe you will be able to get your M6(4,3,2) shutter repaired, long after the M7 is a distant memory.

Back