DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

M6 Shutter bInnacuracyb vs M7 Electronic Shutter

Gilbert, the first transistor was invented in December,1947 and originally used in &lification. Are you sure there is one in your 52 year old Zeiss camera?

Colin -- In that case, if even the 'worst' shutter response was within tolerance even for slide film, then I'm not too worried (I'm likely to be less accurate than the camera!). Interestingly though, I've just read three Popular Photography reviews (M6, M6TTL and M7) with test results where they tested shutter accuracy. The interesting part is that, although M7 is more accurate of the three (it darn well should be!) they claim much improved accuracy for the M6TTL over the M6. Maybe this is my ideal middle ground between cost and functionality, mechanics and electronics... I believe the M7 to be the same shutter mechanism, but just electromagnetically controlled instead of mechanically timed... James

Colin:

first transistor >= "Original"

Although under the preface of "tidbits", perhaps a paragraph may have prevented your response.

Perhaps, I will install one for a lube heater circuit to keep the leaf shutter lube warm when I venture out with my old Zeiss in -57 degreees C.
happy.gif
But, for now it is 29.4 degrees C./85F

James:

I hope you understand my reference-electronics are reliable. Another application; fly-by wire airplanes have flown billions of miles.

BTW: Lubricants for mechanical devices also suffer performance in extreme cold weather as do batteries!

Regards:

Gilbert

James,I don't have the Pop.Photo. test on the M7 but I note that the M6TTL test report indicates shutter accuracy within a 1/10 of an f stop.(10%) In reviewing my Pop.Photo. M6 Lab Report, the highest deviation in accuracy(%age of error) was 11.5%. All others were well within 10% accuracy.I challenge anyone to notice this amount of error! It isn't worth worrying about. Re: M6 vs M6TTL;although I see no point in changing my M6 for a TTL version, I do admit that I think the exposure readout of the M6TTL and M7 is better. 2 arrows with a centre red dot that lights up when correct exposure is set.The M6 requires you to "balance" 2 arrows until they are of equal luminance.This is more difficult if one's eye acuity is failing.
I agree with Gilbert that lubricants and batteries suffer in low temperatures, however, Leica's currently used lubricants require no "winterization" of cameras used in cold climates. This is something that I had to have done on my Leicaflex SL. With battery failure on the M6/M6TTL, you will lose exposure metering capability. With battery failure on the M7 you will lose camera operating capability!!

Hi Colin: Regarding battery failure with the M7, I believe that one can still use the camera, but with only two shutter speeds. Of course, the meter is gone and one is then reduced to the sunny 16 rule, or an external meter. Most of us could probably make do in an emergency, but of course one would prefer to have that extra set of batteries on hand!

Elliot

Elliot, That's right. Only 1/60th and 1/125th.
These speeds may not be very useful for sunsets on Velvia 50 or slot canyons in Arizona. Not much control for d.o.f.decisions. Much better to have the full range of speeds available regardless of battery status or climatic conditions.
It's late in Florida; what are you doing still awake!!

Hi Colin: Well, actually I am looking through one of the DVDs of Lens Work Extended which was recommended-I believe by some on this site, or perhaps on one of the other Leica sites. Interesting interviews with photographers, and very wonderful images of their work. I have no financial or other interest in the magazine; some might be interested to see www.lenswork.com

Nice to hear from you, and continued bests.

Seeing as we have moved sideways to cold shutters on our modern M cameras,
I noticed my own 'modern' MP's cloth shutter slow/hesitate causing horizontal vignetting when I used it in sub-zero temperature at the highest speed (1000sec).
I wouldn't have noticed this had I used a lower ISO film, but by chance I was stuck with 400 at the time, so was forced to use fast speeds.

Lensworks is a favourite of mine too, but not always easy to find here in Australia.
Excellent reading.

William, That's a bit concerning. What do you mean by sub-zero? F or C and what temps. exactly.
Presumably being an MP it's still under warranty if indeed there is a problem.Cold weather work always requires care. One wouldn't leave the M body sitting on a dog sled for 2 hours in the dead of winter and expect it to work accurately.

Back