DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Lens for leicaflex

G

Hi everybody,

I just bought my first Leica, a leicaflex SL. I have no idea what lens i should get, and what's a good price. Any suggestions for a lost soul?

Thanks,

Daniel

Congratulations Daniel,

You have bought the M3 of the reflex world.

Regarding lenses I would start with a 1:2/90 Summicron-R of a similar vintage to the SL. As good as any modern lens from f/5,6 and excellent for portraits and landscape at larger apertures.

After that a 1:2/35 Summicron-R.

It is the classical combination which will cover 90% of your needs.

Have fun.

Sincerely,

Justin

I agree with Justin about the excellence of the camera - a real beauty, the SL.
The lenses he names are tops, though I think the 90mm f2.8 Elmarit is very close in quality to the Summicron and it is much smaller, lighter, and less expensive on the used market.
I would not scorn the 50mm f2 Summicron, especially the earlier version - a wonderful lens which produces truly beautiful images.
Again - with the 35mm and the 90mm, you cover 90% of anyone's reasonable needs. With the 50, that goes to about 95%.

Best wishes

Max

Dear Max,

How nice to find someone who really appreciates these classics.

Max, I think the Elmarit-R is a slightly sharper lens than the Summicron-R (I have them both), however there have been times when f/2 has been needed or the softness and shallow depth of field desirable.

The nice think about the older R equipment is that it is not generally collectible and therefore available at realistic prices. Collectors are now paying US$1,500.00 for the early M Summicron 1:2/35 (8 element). A great lens but not worth the premium. I am very lucky in having bought the equipment I want over the last thirty five years and before the collectors ravaged the camera shops. If I won the lottery there is nothing I would add, however people like me would put Leica Camera AG out of business and there would we be for repairs. What other company will restore a thirty year old camera (SL MOT).

Kind regards and enjoy the Leicaflex.

Justin

Thank you all for your comments. I've been researchin and lookin around ebay, local shops, and some online shops for the lens. Just one last question, for the Summicron 90mm f2, should i get the 2-cam, or 3 cam? Pro? Cons?

Again, thank you very much!

Daniel

Daniel,

A 2-cam can have the third cam installed for about US$100.00, so adjust the price accordingly. I had my Elmarit-R upgraded and while at Solms they cleaned lubricated adjusted etc. Considering the age of these lenses it is worthwhile, however if you buy a 2-cam pay about US150.00 less than a 3-cam.

Best of luck.

Justin

Anybody can advice the difference between Super Angulon 21mm/3.4 and the latter 21mm/4. I'm considering to buy in 1 of them. Thanks

The Super Angulon f/3.4 will fit only the Leicaflex Standard because it requires full-time MLU, and is rather scarce. It's priced mostly by collectors now so it will cost much more relative to its usefullness than the f/4 lens. More info: see www.wildlightphoto.com/leica

Back