DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New Minolta Lenses

Ther it is, currently selling : Zoom Telephoto AF D 70-200mm f/2.8 APO G SSM Autofocus Lens. Priced at US$ 1800.
Loks like Minolta is trying to catch up with Nikon & Canon
If you can be shure there will ba a digital SLR and if, are the older non SSM lenses compatibel ?

John Kirby (New500) John have another look at the destructions on how to post messages Thanks Michael

sorry Michael et. al!

Hi,

Can the previous poster (sorry lost my copy, so don't remember your name) please tell me where you saw this SSM lens available?

In the UK, no dealer has any information yet.

There is a possibility in my mind Minolta may deprecate pre - D series lenses, as digital is much more exposure critical than negative film (no soft response shoulders*). However that to me would seem absurd, as the ADI (Active Distance Integration) of the D lenses only works accurately when using *direct* flash, not bounced flash, and only when the flash is mounted level with the film plane. Minolta is leaving a huge area for confusion here. I bought into Dynax / Maxxum last summer anticipating the SSM lenses (still maintaining XKs and MC/MD for most work). However currently the older APOs are trading very cheaply. So FUD regards forward compatibility with a digital back is now an issue to me.

Just my $0.02, but I'd really appreciate your feedback on who can order that SSM lens! Many thanks in advance.

Cheers - John

*just occurred to me that a CCD with soft response shoulders would be a pretty seriously neat thing. Put it down to speculative digital envy on my part
happy.gif

Thanks Alex!

I spoke to my dealer here in London late today, and all we could find was the BH quote. Nothing on the UK price list. Thing is, M do a Europe - wide guarantee, but outside purchases e.g. Singapore, USA, no good
sad.gif

I mean my dealer is good - recommendation from the GM of Silver Halide at Minolta UK from some time ago . . . however they reckon they have to go to Langenhagen to get a quote for this quote . .

Anyone seen the SSM lenses with better that USD$ 1.00 = GBP £1.00 exchange rate? I saw one unverified UK quote at GBP £ 1699 !!! (Current exchg rate is nearly 1.82)

If so, I may have a Shift CA, Varisoft and others up on the block sometime soon . . (though not an easy decision)

Cheers - John

I guess from reading these posts that no member has purchased either one of these SSM lenses... Anyone know if there are any non-Minolta reviews of these lenses on the net?

Thanks - Ivan

Alrighty, I just got a quote from my local photo dealer and his "best" price for a 70-200mm f2.8 Apo G(D) SSM would be $3,157.00 Canadian. That's $2,367.00 US! Yah, right!

Like Fritz mentioned, B&H have them for $1,899.00 US. That's $2,532.00 for me (Canadian). That's $625 difference compared to my local dealer. I guess I will be taking a 4 hour drive across the border and smuggling this puppy back home! ;-)

Bonzai!

Back