DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New Contax ND

Hi Dirk,

> there will be very likely also another adapater available for Contax MM lenses to Canon EOS. We are currently in discussion with a well known German manufacturer regarding this...

Is the test done? successful?

" there will be very likely also another adapater available for Contax MM lenses to Canon EOS. We are currently in discussion with a well known German manufacturer regarding this..."

... no news so far...

Yes. But not all tests have been done yet, so we have to wait. But it seems that it will be better than other alternatives on the market.

What we heard so far is that in the wideangle area the images made with the Zeiss lenses and this adapter will have a significant better image quality on a Canon 1Ds than with Canon lenses.

But there are also some issues, especially with older Zeiss lenses Made in Germany, which have to be checked first.

We will have more information in April I hope.

Dirk, this sounds good.

While Canon has some terrific glass in the L series, the Wide Angle choices are limited to a 14/2.8, 24/1.4 and 35/1.4 prime and 16-35/2.8 & 17-40/4 zooms. No 20 or 28 prime L. The Zeiss zooms I've used do indeed outperform even the L Canon zooms (except maybe the 20-35/2.8).

Keep us informed please.

OK let me get this straight. Are you saying that the Canon 20X35 lens (which is not an L) is as sharp as Contax lenses? I have the 20X35 and was thinking about getting the 16X35 but if what you say is true I can keep what I have and save a bunch money. Dave

Hi David, well, I don't own the 20-35/2.8 Canon lens, but Irakly does and he won't sell the darn thing to me ; -)

I've seen results he gets, plus he thinks it's a better lens than the
16 X 35 in terms of distortion. Whether it is a better lens or not I'm not sure, which is why I said "maybe" in the above post. Sure a lot less expensive.

But then again there is a big difference between 16mm and 20mm. Also, isn't the 20-35/2.8 an L lens? I thought the one Irakly has had a red stripe on it. Hmmmm....

Mark, David refers to a different lens, 20-35/3.5-4.5 EF. That one sucks
happy.gif
20-35/2.8 L is indeed the only Canon zoom that rivals Zeiss, although its range is not the most impressive.

An italian photo-website (www.nadir.it), in its news section, reported rumours about a new Contax N-Digital to be announced within april 2004.

ciao

Francesco M. Basso

Back