DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Canon 20D Severe Issues

[On the topic of the various D cameras which do folks recommend? I'm leaning towards the rebel xt but the rebel is cheaper while the 20d is also an option. Also what general purpose lens do folks recommend? I was thinking of the 17-40 but the range is short and the lens has mixed reviews. I guess the 24-85 is an option as well as the 35f2. The primary thing I want to avoid are chromatic aberration and purple fringing (I guess this is more of a property of the sensor). I would like to maintain similar clarity/spectrum that I get with my current system (contax slr). Thanks!]

"I would like to maintain similar clarity/spectrum that I get with my current system (contax slr). Thanks!"

Ain't gonna happen. You sir have been spoiled. There IS a partial solution, but you won't like the price tag. You could get adapters to mount your Zeiss glass on a Canon digital. But there's no auto aperture or auto focus then. In addition, the viewfinders on the Rebels and 20D are small and dim and the focusing screens cannot be swapped out for the split prism type to aid in manual focus... so they are hard to manually focus.

I currently use a range of Zeiss C/Y mount lenses on a Canon 1DMKII and 1DsMKII, both with split MIcro Prism focusing screens. I also use a full range of Canon L Autofocus lenses for wedding applications. The Zeiss lenses outperform the Canon in almost every respect ... especially in the area of wide angles and some wide zooms. Here's a shot with a Canon digital using a Contax 60.2.8 MM macro ... clarity and little to no fringing.

33018.jpg

> I surely didn't know that Contax ( Carl Zeiss) lenses could be used on a Canon with an adapter. Does that spply to both 10D and D1? I have several Zeiss lenses from my Contax and a beauty from my old Hassie. Will check out B&H > and see if they have adapters.

>

Here's my version of Marc's photo, CZ 35/1.4, just not quite as colorful but check out the dynamic range! There's actually even more detail in the shadows but size and JPEG compression tend to chew it up. I've become addicted to 13x19 prints.

33028.jpg

I just finished getting a new larger bag to hold my 7 Zeiss lenses with my EOS 1DsII. Danged thing weighs 19 lbs. loaded. Of course that's a whole lot better than the 30+ lbs. I used to haul with my Fuji GX-680, but I ain't that young now-a-days ...

I'm using DSLRExchange adapters, and they work beautifully. The designer/seller has excellent service and just returned a batch back to the machine shop because they were too a bit tight on some lenses.

http://www.dslrexchange.com

Never mind that he just switched to a Leica R system and is waiting for a digital module
happy.gif
. Maybe we'll see some Leica - EOS adapters? That 19mm looks kinda yummy, especially since I can't find a CZ 18 or 21 to save my puny life
sad.gif

Andrew, with all due respect but auto modes are not just for novices. In fact that's all I use 99.9% of the time. While no professional, I don't really consider myself a novice after 30+ years ... There's that oh-so-handy thing called the exposure compensation dial thet lets one dial in the correct exposure you want while still letting the system get you in the ball park and save you lots of time.

Cheers,

DJ

DJ, I am happy to say that I'm wrong, and I would be very grateful to you if you showed me how to do it, but I believe that it is not possible to set exposure compensation on these modes. That is my point - it should be, and I would use these modes much more of the time!

Don't get me wrong - I am delighted with Canon cameras! But PLEASE can someone explain how to get exposure compensation on these modes. Two pictures, taken by a pupil, are below. The one of the relay was in AV mode, -1 stop. Pic 2 was in auto mode. The white tops and shorts have completely blown in this one. Note that the pictures have been reduced in size and compressed - the original files (the AV one anyway!) show lots of detail.

33032.jpg
33033.jpg

Agp:

I do most of my shooting in P, for convenience, and because I'm not much smarter than the little brain in the camera. But with drive selection and AI focus, you can have the same results as the sports auto setting while retaining your choice of ISO and exposure compensation.

Light reflectivity is much broader than the capability of either film or silicone. The various auto modes are there for people who don't want to be bothered with learning and understanding the relationship of the various controls beyond the green window on the dial.

For instance, it would never occur to me to use the macro setting represented by the flower icon. I use AV and a tripod or a steady rest for macro. I love the results I get at a higher ISO and the flexibility I have.

In auto modes, Canon forces you to use one metering mode: Evaluative. As you can see from your two ex&les the green things in the background are much more properly exposed than the minor areas of white. That's because the overall scene is measured and an evaluated average exposure is made. According to the manual (and I've not tried this, so I can't confirm)you can force the evaluative metering to give more weight to the center area by switching to manual focus. Theoretically, you could manually focus on the players as they run, keeping your center focus box dead-on one of the white bits and good luck to you getting an in-focus shot.

You could also bring spray paint with you to color up everything white-- or you could learn how to use the advanced operations --to shoot the images as you did with the one on the left. In Photoshop, that one could be adjusted in a variety of controls to give the result you want.

Here in Florida, unless the sun is behind a cloud, I have to use a mode that will let me underexpose to compensate for the brightness of many objects and subjects. It's just a fact of life.

Actually DJ I just noticed the German one is zero feedback and wire transfer only, so maybe best to avoid that one and stick with the US one.

Matt

Matt, thanks for the heads up! I'll need to check it out.

Andrew, in any mode I choose, although I normally shoot Av, I just use whatever dial I have set as my exposure compensation dial to change the exposure selected by the auto metering system. At least in my 1DsII it's available in any exposure mode.

BTW, I just noticed a difference in semantics of our use of the term "auto-exposure". To me any exposure where the camera sets the exposure for me is auto, which is basically any mode except Manual and Bulb. In your use of Auto I now realize you were refering to "Programmed", which indeed is only used by novices (just kidding, Charles!
biggrin.gif
). But regardless, I can compensate in Programmed mode just as in Aperture Prefered, same method and same result.

Each exposure mode will have its own bias and characteristics, but as long as you're familiar with it and like its basic dynamics, the compensation dial keeps you in control, at least in my 1DsII and ND for that matter.

Happy shooting!

DJ

Back