DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Review Contax T3

Hi Bill,

I updated tonight the download section. There is now a pdf file with the MTF data of the T2 and T3 lenses.

If you compare both, it seems to be obvious that the T3 lens is superior. How much you can see this difference in "real life"?

According to the MTF data you should see a significant improvement of the T3 also in "real life" shootings.

dirk

The film for the T3 pictures from the Palace was Kodak Supra 400, scanned on a Nikon LS30.

Simon

What is the optimum aperture on the Contax T3 in terms of sharpness? Generally lenses at fully open and closed down apertures aren't at optimum sharpness. If anyone has any ideas about the ContaxT3 I would appreciate it.

Best regards

Greg

Even though I have yrs of experience in Photo, I just found this forum and am interested in purchasing my first high end P&S. I have Nikon "F" through "F3T", but never got into AF SLR's. I went to earlier Olympus stylus, because of their glass lens. I halso have a couple of digital's, again Nikon 880, and 2500. My questions are:, my son (adult) will be touring Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand in a few weeks. I am interested in the Contax T3. (Reading great posts) about it. A second thought is the new Rollei 35 AFM. Are they compatable in quality?? seems 100.00 USD difference. Second questions, where in Asia (above) are reputable places, store names, district can he go w/o getting ripped off to purchase for me? Is buying the flash attachment and flash worth it over there? Is the difference in $$ worth the hassle to USA on-line purchase? Good Asia Price? He is third generation Chinese-American w/ no Chinese language skills.

Thomas,

I live in Hong Kong and have bought many cameras from several different shops. For the visitor passing through Hong Kong, I can recommend him to buy a T3 from the Tin Cheung Camera Company located in the Tung Ying Arcade, which is on the same block as the Miramar Hotel in Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui. This shop has good prices, accepts trade-ins, and includes international warranty coverage. Hong Kong has no import duties or sales tax, and the competition between camera shops is fierce, making it a great place to shop for camera gear. However, stay away from the typical "tourist" shops. They often won't observe warranties, and often sell grey imports.

Personally, I bought the Rollei AFM35, and I can confirm that it takes beautiful images. The lens is spectacular, and the handing is nice, although it has a few quirks, as do all the cameras in this class. The Rollei is somewhat larger than the T3, however, and is therefore not as comfortable to hang off one's belt. The T3 is better in that regard.

Good luck.

>Thanks for the information. If I drop by, I'll make the best of it.>--/\--=

Thank you Dirk for the very well done rewiew about the T3.
I own a T3 and really I find the lens very good, in particular the portraits have a very special brilliance...... when they are in focus.
Because, unluckily, not very often they are so. I shooted 5/6 rolls and I have never had, in low light and F 2.8, a portrait in focus.
Like Dirk, I noticed that focusing area is more to the right than to left of the center in high light; but in low light, when is active the auxiliary illuminator, I find that the focusing area is completely shifted on the right of the brackets (from the brackets till 3/4 of the view-finder).
If I have the subjet on the brackets and something else on the right of it and nearer, I can see on the display that the camera always focuses on that.
(It's easy in this way, moving the camera, to individualize exactly the real zone of focusing).
Now I wonder if this is a problem only of my camera or it's a problem of T3 in general.
Could someone do the same test and answer to my question?

Other problem: don't you find that the lens vignettes a little bit too much?
In my landscape the clear blue sky have always the corner sensibly darker than the center, even at F 8.
Best regards and ( I've just finished seeing the football match German-USA) congratulation to the German friends for the qualification.

Paolo Lombardi

1. the soccer game was in my (german) opinion nothing to be proud of for Germany. The US team played better, faster and with more power.

2. I have no vignetting on my T3, so you should check this with Contax. With the shifting of (standard) AF in different light situations, I have to check that on the weekend. But I would be surprised if that would be the case...

My advice would be to use the Spot AF for portraits. Although the DOF is very big anyway because of the wideangel...

dirk

Hey,
I just bought a Contax T3, my first (and hopefully, not last Contax). I can't wait to start shooting with it.
Quick question thought. When I shut it off, the LCD display remains on, showing my the battery strength and how many exposures I have left. Is this normal?

Back