DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sydney Opera House 50th Anniversary (1973 to 2023)

wklee

DPRF-Patron
As I remember the 50th Anniversary of the Sydney Opera House, I also remember my Dad and his University friend Peter Brian Hall, who completed Sydney Opera House in 1973. Tragically Peter Hall died without the recognition he should have gotten when he was alive. Peter Hall was posthumously awarded AO - Order of Australia. He died in 1995 (Alcohol related, I think), same year as my Dad.

I wanted to find a Group Photo but University of Sydney could only provide his Graduation Records.

Most of the names I don't know or cannot remember. Some in the list died Tragically.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-15 at 8.08.40 PM.png
    EXIF
    Screenshot 2021-02-15 at 8.08.40 PM.png
    409.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
There is a Book about Peter Hall and Sydney Opera House, called The Poisoned Chalice.

The Poisoned Chalice: Peter Hall and the Sydney Opera House​

“In the newly unveiled fourth edition of the Sydney Opera House’s Conservation Managment Plan, the role of architect Peter Hall in the completion of the building has been given increased recognition. As the plan’s author, heritage expert Alan Croker acknowledged, Dr Anne Watson’s research had contributed to a better understanding of building’s history. Her finds were recently published in a new book, The Poisoned Chalice: Peter Hall and the Sydney Opera House”

“It tells story of an architect that history had unkindly cast aside. Peter Hall was the design architect charged with completing the world-famous building after Jørn Utzon’s abrupt departure, while the building was, at the time, still a series of empty shells.”

““But worse than the enduring disregard and ignorance has been the continuing vilification of Peter Hall,” Watson writes. “To this day the mere mention of his name in connection with the Opera House is enough to send many architects into paroxysms of indignation.””

Last edited:
There is a Book about Peter Hall and Sydney Opera House, called The Poisoned Chalice.

The Poisoned Chalice: Peter Hall and the Sydney Opera House​

“In the newly unveiled fourth edition of the Sydney Opera House’s Conservation Managment Plan, the role of architect Peter Hall in the completion of the building has been given increased recognition. As the plan’s author, heritage expert Alan Croker acknowledged, Dr Anne Watson’s research had contributed to a better understanding of building’s history. Her finds were recently published in a new book, The Poisoned Chalice: Peter Hall and the Sydney Opera House”

“It tells story of an architect that history had unkindly cast aside. Peter Hall was the design architect charged with completing the world-famous building after Jørn Utzon’s abrupt departure, while the building was, at the time, still a series of empty shells.”

““But worse than the enduring disregard and ignorance has been the continuing vilification of Peter Hall,” Watson writes. “To this day the mere mention of his name in connection with the Opera House is enough to send many architects into paroxysms of indignation.””
I remember reading some years ago about how unfairly, as well as cruelly Peter Hall was treated by the government. I was never happy about this and am still not. Thanks for sharing his story which needs to be told, and heard.

I remember the NSW Government puling the plug on the seemingly never going to be finished evolution of the Opera House. It was a commercial decision to bring an art house design to completion and resulting in Utzon leaving in a huff of the genius scorned. That someone had to finish off what was as yet undone and a a wonderful visual concept where just how it was to be executed was really only sorted out during the process of construction.

Surely a witches brew without the guiding hand of its inspired creator? However it did come to a conclusion and some one had to do it. That it did get finished and came to become the icon it has become is some sort of a miracle that happened without the guiding hand of its inspirational architect having to be finished by another inspirational architect without the the instruction manual, but bound by the established construction brief, and harassed by a government hell bent on getting a final finished product as quickly and as cheaply as possible.

My Dad, Peter Hall and others were friends in Architecture School, 1950 to 1957. I only have a faint recollection of meeting Peter Hall. One of my Aunties Theresa Wong who went to Architecture School with them is probably one of the last surviving ones. 70 plus years of Friendship.

I kept in touch with some of those who knew my Dad from his University days, less now since my mum’s death 6 months ago.

My Dad, Peter Hall and others were friends in Architecture School, 1950 to 1957. I only have a faint recollection of meeting Peter Hall. One of my Aunties Theresa Wong who went to Architecture School with them is probably one of the last surviving ones. 70 plus years of Friendship.

I kept in touch with some of those who knew my Dad from his University days, less now since my mum’s death 6 months ago.
Thanks for sharing the story and your memories.

I remember visiting the Sydney Opera House on a school excursion not long after it opened. I would have been in Year 7. It was extraordinarily impressive - I remember being amazed at the architectural finishes inside the building, the scale of the concert hall, and the immense glass walls at the front overlooking the harbour. A friend of mine had their wedding reception inside the Opera House right next to the large glass wall. Such a great location.

Curiously I don't think I've ever taken a photo of the building! Must rectify that omission!

My Parents met in Sydney, Australia so I find it to be a Special Place. I have Family and Friends in Eastern Australia (NSW, Queensland) and some Friends in Western Australia.

Back