Studio Flashes and the MSystem

G

I have a M6TTL. I have always used it with natural light. However, I want to start using it in the studio with either hot lights or strobes. I just tried to fire my Speedotron D402 from the PC outlet on the M6camera and it would not fire. I was able to fire my 645 and and a EOS with no problem. Is there a voltage issue with the M6TTL's? I can fire a flash (vivitar 283) with no problem so I always assumed the electronics were fine... Any suggestions?

Also Has anyone used Quartz lights? It seems a natural fit with the M system vs the strobes...

thanks drh

G

doug, i tested my friend's m6 ttl, had the same problem; brushed off as a problem with the flash, although i was able to trigger the flash manually. so the evidence is building..let me know if you find out more

G

Doug, I don't have any problems with my m6ttl and photogenics, but I use one of those hotshoe attachments with the pc plug to save wear and tear on the cameras pc socket.

Hope this helps,

Kim Critchfield

G

[Thanks for the input. The Speedotron brownline D402 pack is 10+ years old. Is it possible that it won't work with newer camera's (ie PC triggers or electronics)? I also have a Nikon hotshoe attachment and it would not make the power pack fire either. Again, a flash will fire but not the strobe??? However, I can fire the stobe with my older EOS and 645. The mystery continues. Any thoughts on what might be the matter?]

G

> I just tried to fire my Speedotron D402 from the PC outlet on the M6camera and it would not fire =================================================================

Why don't you try contacting the Leica tech people directly ? Their internet address has been posted on the various lists many times. I would suggest the same for Speedotron. I would bet you could get a more authoritative answer straight from the manufacturers.

G

[I'll contact them and keep you posted... thanks...

Have you ever used Quartz lighting for B&W? ]

G

"Posted by Doug Hemsley on Thursday, April 10, 2003 - 10:15 pm:

[I'll contact them and keep you posted... thanks...

Have you ever used Quartz lighting for B&W? ]"

I'm interested in using halogen lights (cheap cheap cheap) for studio work. Problems I've seen is that they are very harsh and the color temp needs adjusting with a filter (for color film of course).

Has anyone seen diffusers and what would be the proper color lens filters for these halogen l&s?

Dana Curtis Kincaid Pinnacle Systems Technical Support Indy
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

G

Dana,

just a peace of advice - stay off the halogen l&s and go for flash - combines much better with day-light without filtering - natural interiors - and more accurate color. You should be able to pick a set of 3 studioflash units second hand rather cheap, lots arround since many pro photographers seems to shift their equipmnet as the turn didtal. If you use a color filter (blue) with halogen it will take between one and two f-stops witch is not what you need, and the l&s develope a lot of heat, compared to the monitorlight on thje flash Good luck with your work,

ruben

G

[I've used tungsten lights but only for black and white. I've never tried Quartz or Halogen. I believe a blue filter will help with the color correction for tungsten. You can also try tungsten film which is made for tungsten lighting... not sure how it would work with Halogen. The problem with tungsten film is availability and you can't use it outside with out correcting the color... a real catch 22. I have a strobe system but I'm looking for a way to capture interaction with out the pop of the lights thus my questions about quartz or now halogen lighting for B&W work. As far as harshness a simple softbox or umbrella will soften the impact. I've even used sheets and foam core and they works nicely and is a cheap way to go.]

G

> Have you ever used Quartz lighting for B&W? ]" > > I'm interested in using halogen lights (cheap cheap cheap) for studio > work. Problems I've seen is that they are very harsh and the color > temp needs adjusting with a filter (for color film of course). > > Has anyone seen diffusers and what would be the proper color lens > filters for these halogen l&s?

Any theatre or cinema supply house, like Birns and Sawyer can help. What you are looking for are lighting gels.

A source for gels to change the character of light

Regards,

Sonny

G

If you don't get satisfaction try rigging a cheap flah with small GN that will work on the M6 and add a slave unit to make the studio gear fire. Should work and cost next to nix. At least it will get you going until you sort the problem.

craig

G

> > > Dana, > > just a peace of advice - You should be able to pick a set of 3 studioflash units second hand rather cheap, lots arround since many pro photographers seems to shift their equipmnet as the turn didtal. ================================================================= For those of you with little experience of pro equipment. A flash tube has a limited life expectancy. As it nears the end of that life it often exhibits color shifts and erratic output. The power supplies also can deteriorate with age and are often expen$ive to repair. That is why busy studios and rental units are sold off after xx number of hours.

G

That's great... :-(

Just when I was about to buy a Metz 2000 SUX on EBAY for $25!

Dana

------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Photo Phreak on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 7:10 pm:

> > > Dana, > > just a peace of advice - You should be able to pick a set of 3 studioflash units second hand rather cheap, lots arround since many pro photographers seems to shift their equipmnet as the turn didtal. ================================================================= For those of you with little experience of pro equipment. A flash tube has a limited life expectancy. As it nears the end of that life it often exhibits color shifts and erratic output. The power supplies also can deteriorate with age and are often expen$ive to repair. That is why busy studios and rental units are sold off after xx number of hours.

G

In respons to "photo phreak" about flash tubes limited life ..

I have been working with multiblitz flash for about 12 years, and gave them new flash tubes 4 years ago. I try to "rotate" so that all are being used about the same amount of hours. I have my system measured about 4 times a year with a "color" meter. When I got the new Tubes they were within the limits of +- 25 K from dayligt color temp. After 4 years one has fallen to about -40, the rest is betwen - 35 to - 30 of daylight color temp. This has not affected the colors - For photographing fine art and interiors I use agfa film as Kodak seem to make especially yellow colors much warmer then they appear on the original. sorry about the spelling Im not an american/english

Ruben

G

If anyone interested in Studio strobes, I would recommand AlienBees. They are relative cheap ($225-360 each) and the quality and features are good for the price. More detail on

G

I got a strobe years ago from the parent company and loved it. Not as robust as the expensive stuff, but it fit my budget and did everything I needed it to and more.

Another thing I tried is slave together a few 283s on a frame. They put out a lot of light and just keep on ticking.

B2 (;->

G

I'm looking for the official Leica info/help site. I've tried a couple of sites but never gotten a response. I'm looking to find out about the M6TTL and Speedotron strobes... thanks

G

Doug, Your M6TTL strobe problem sounds a lot like the early sync problems with the R8. Leica adopted the newer ISO standards for sync voltage and had many complaints about non-sync with older strobes. The temporary fix was a external sync block for the R8. In later cameras, they either went back to the old standard or found a solution. I have one of the external boxes, and it does work on the R8. I don't know if it will work on your M6TTL. Somewhere on the Leica Germany web site, there must be an e-mail address for technical questions. They should have an answer for you.
Good Luck & Happy Snaps,

G

All I have good news...at least with the Leica and the Speedotron strobes. I purchased a Wein voltage regulator and changed the polarity of my PC cord by just reversing the plug on the cord and now my Leica will trigger my Speedotron lights! I'm new to this forum but am glad to be a part of it... thanks for all your help