DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

No More AriaDbs

Albert, The 70-200/2.8 IS is very good for a zoom. Very good. The benefits of this latest generation of IS technology far out weigh any other issue. I was never a big fan of Canon's more pastel feeling color until it came under my direct control through digital capture.

I am not a fan of the other two zooms you asked about ... especially the 24-70/2.8L. 24-70 is a very convenient focal range, so it is tempting. But after using one for a year I sold it. It's too big, and The 24/1.4, 35/1.4, 85/1.2 are all much better performers and sooooo much faster. The 16-35/2.8L is a necessary evil. There are no L lenses under 24mm except the 14mm, so the 16-35 is the only game in town if you want L level build, reasonable aperture speed and performance at the wide end of things. If you don't need the speed the 17-40/4 may be worth looking at. I haven't used that lens, but those who have swear by it.

I must say that the 16-35/2.8L was a quantum leap from the previous 17-35/2.8L. I tested the two side by side and sold my 17-35 the next day.

The only other choice is to hunt down the long discontinued 20-35/2.8L. My pal has one and I cannot get him to sell it to me. It is really good, just a bit slower focusing than the newer focusing motors in L lenses ... not an issue with that wide of a lens IMO.

Marc, Thanks for the insight info of the Canon glasses. These topics come up everyday in various forums. But it is good to get real life experience from a user at your level.

Hi Saras

"..Was your previous post a criticism of Kyocera - I've never heard you say anything negative before!! ..."

Yes, it was. And it is not the first time. You can search in the forum.

The fact that I am a Contax enthusist does not mean that I am blind or deaf
happy.gif

The fact that we are running several Contax communities has the consequence that we were acting in the past and will act in the future in the interest of our users. We therefore tried many times to convince Kyocera to be more open minded to increase sales. But it seems that "keeping face" and ignoring all facts is for some decision makers more important than the survival of the Contax brand.

Hi Mike,

FFL means Fixed focal lens like the N50/1.4, N85/1.4 or the totally superflous N4/400

"...you trying to say when you said "Kyocera and communication/ marketing"...."

I meant that they obviously have no clou about marketing or how to communicate with their costumers.

It is not by accident that the Contax sales are going south. And if you look how many times over the last 10 years the head of the optical division was exchanged, I am wondering whether you will see a difference whether somebody is sitting there on a chair or not.

It is shocking to see that the only valuable information worldwide about Contax gear you will find here at Contaxinfo.com. I think that says it all already.

But just to avoid the open question: Yes I still use Contax and will use it also in the future. I do not know which system (C/Y or N) will survive - if at all one of both. The main problem is, that Kyocera does not know it neither. They are obviously not able to decide in a timely manner and then go for it with all consequences.

I am a fan of the N-System, although there are some disadvantages. But there are disadvantages with every camera system on this planet. But more about this maybe next week...

Dirk,

Ah, now I get it, I have never seen such abbreviation before (FFL I mean).

I meant that they obviously have no clou about marketing or how to communicate with their costumers.

It is not by accident that the Contax sales are going south. And if you look how many times over the last 10 years the head of the optical division was exchanged, I am wondering whether you will see a difference whether somebody is sitting there on a chair or not.
[end quote]

Well said!

Back