DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New E1

> I strongly suggest you use the E-1 just as you did the OM-4 - aperture > priority - but use (or at least try) the ESP metering with the E-1 - > it is excellent.

As was said previously, expose as you would for slide film. The histogram is important to check to ensure you have not blown out the highlights, BUT, it is not perfect in that sometimes there are too few pixels registered at the highlight end to show up in the histogram.

As a former OM-4 user and one who still uses spot metering for 4x5 work, I haven't in the past trusted camera light meters. However, I am now fully trustworthy of the ESP metering in the E-1 - under almost all circumstances it prevents the highlights from being overexposed. I am continually amazed at how well it does. If anything, it slightly underexposes the rest of the image and I often need to brighten up the middle tones slightly using Curves in Photoshop.

the sooner you learn a bit of Photoshop, the better able you will be to improve your results over those from the film era. An excellent resource for learning Photoshop is Photoshop for Digital Photographers by Bruce Fraser (Peach Pit Press)- it has been a veritable bible on technique with plenty of screen shots and diagrams. It's companion "Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS" is equally helpful when you want to pursue Raw images.

Among other advantages, you can extract about 1 extra stop of information from the highlights in Raw images as compared to jpeg images. Also, Fraser's book gives you some great info about Raw image workflow to reduce the time it takes to make active use of Raw images. With Photoshop File Browser, Raw images are not the pain they used to be.

Cheers, and happy shooting.

> Just a slight correction - Photoshop CS for Digital Photographers is > by Scott Kelby; Camera raw with Adobe Photoshop CS is by Bruce Fraser. > And, of course, Photoshop CS2 is just out... -TM

Speaking of the OM-4... When the OM-2 came out, it came inside an OM-1 body. It even has an electric "virtual OM-1" built right into it. Wouldn't it be a photographer's dream come true to have a digital SLR- with AF added- in an OM-4 body?

I hear rumours of an E2 or at least an upgraded E1 and I just wondered if anyone else had any information on this.
Happy New Year to everyone,
John

>There have been rumours for months. The latest is that Olympus might make an anouncement at PMA, US, in Jan/February. Some think it is more likely in autumn. Speculation is rife, but that is all it is. We are all waiting. I think it's a good sign. Olympus are obviously taking the E-1 replacement very seriously. Look at this for a clue: www.biofos.com/esystem/_img/e500/e500int.pdf Cheers, John F. >

>

Thanks John,
That is very interesting. I will hang on for PMA. I am looking forward to their next announcement.
All the best,
John

Back