DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

SIGMA DP1-Close Focus-Range

Guest .

Banned
Hi All,

without any optical aid, you cannot go all that close to the scene with the DP1 (0.3m / 1ft ... due to the fact that the DP1 is a wide angle cam of course).

View attachment 1641

Getting closer, it takes SIGMA's AML-1 close up lens in front of it.

View attachment 1642

Now we are closer but not really in what I would consider any macro-range. :)

Thus, I went for some additional 46mm MACRO-lenses ..... let us have a CLOSER:) look!

View attachment 1643

To be continued .......

Attachments

• Sample 26a.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 26a.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Sample 23a.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 23a.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 23
  • Sample 27a.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 27a.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 34

Well, since the AML-1 is quite an expensive close-up-lens, the question comes up, whether it could do to replace it by a cheap standard macro lens. I tried so! :)

DP1 + AML-1 + open aperture ..... DP1+ 4dpt-lens + open aperture

View attachment 1644 View attachment 1645

The answer is a clear NO, you cannot replace it by any cheap stuff. Obviously the AML-1 is a special design for DP1 use in particular. AML-1 image quality is outstanding!
By the way ... results widely improve as soon as slowing down the DP1's aperture down to 8.0 with the cheap lens.

But how to get really close?! :)

DP1+ AML1 + 4dpt-lens + open aperture

View attachment 1646

Well, I think this is acceptable image quality, is it not?!

To have the edges a 100% sharp, you have to slow down aperture a bit.

DP1+ AML1 + 4dpt F:9 .....................DP1+ AML1 + 4dpt F:11

View attachment 1648 View attachment 1647

For comparism:

DP1 + standard 8dpt macro-lens.

View attachment 1649

Conclusions:

I think, it is nice to conquer the macro range with the DP1! It seems as if this was not possible without the AML-1.
If you would like to go closer than the AML-1 allows, you can do that nicely with additional close up lenses in front of the AML-1.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• Sample 26.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 26.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Sample 25.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 25.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Sample 29.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 29.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Sample 28.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 28.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Sample 27.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 27.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Sample 30.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 30.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 16
High Tony,

that looks fine indeed!

There are not many macro scenes indeed that require sharpness up to the very periphery of your picture.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Klaus....Great color on the bee's with the background...honey-comb....

:lol:

DP-1 Close Focus...

Klaus, outstanding comparison...

Here are a few from my DP-1

I am using a generic 2x Macro lens...on my DP1...but it still gives you outstanding results...

View attachment 1664

View attachment 1665

Thanks for looking...

Tony C.
Hi Tony, they're definitely fine pics, but it's not a good choice of subject to show the quality of the lens from the perspective of sharpness across the frame. Klaus' choice of shooting a newspaper may be boring, but it showed quite well the IQ differences between these lenses on sharpness. Because the borders and edges of your images are out of focus, it's just not possible to tell very much about lens sharpness from these shots. [on revisiting your pics, it looks to me that the top right corner of the 2nd photo is showing signs of smudging rather than simple defocusing - it looks quite ugly once one notices it.] Central sharpness and bokeh with your lenses are good, but that's only half the story. If you have time, it would be really interesting to see you post some shots of a subject in a flat plane to compare with the lenses Klaus was using. Thanks in advance.

Well, since the AML-1 is quite an expensive close-up-lens, the question comes up, whether it could do to replace it by a cheap standard macro lens. I tried so! :)

DP1 + AML-1 + open aperture ..... DP1+ 4dpt-lens + open aperture

View attachment 1644 View attachment 1645

The answer is a clear NO, you cannot replace it by any cheap stuff. Obviously the AML-1 is a special design for DP1 use in particular. AML-1 image quality is outstanding!
By the way ... results widely improve as soon as slowing down the DP1's aperture down to 8.0 with the cheap lens.

Klaus

Klaus,

Great write up, thanks for taking the time to share your results with us. I'm definitely buying the AML-1 now. Just out of curiosity, were the cheap macro lenses you refer to the Hoya Close Up lenses or from some other company? Do you have any thoughts on which company makes the best closeup filters? I'm looking at buying some to use with the AML-1...may as well buy the best in class.

Anthony

Back