DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

N00b from Australia

rpo83

Hello all,

I have just found this wonderful forum.

I have been a Sigma SD10 owner for about 3 years now. I have had a very rocky relationship with the camera, it has been 100% reliable, but the images seem very hit or miss, i have persisted only because i love what it potentally offers.

I was just about to give up on it, when i discovered the various lens adapters that are available.... I have just bought one of jtats M42 adaptors, and i am now thinking about buying one of Luis' Leica R SD14's.....

I have never ben able to get sharp images with the SD10, i was only using the twin lens kit, but i thought i should get "decent" shots. Another Sigma user told me to persist and get some EX glass, i bought a 15-30 the results were better, but still not as sharp as i would like.

It seems there is much to learn about the foveron, and getting the best out of it. I look forward to posting some shots and getting help from you experienced Sigma users.

Cheers

Steve

Hi, Steve ...

... and welcome here. A fellow downunderer I see. :)

I started with the SD10 and got pretty good results with it right from the start, doing some pretty substantial enlargements (beyond AO) with it. Don't know whether the many years of using all kinds of pro gear from 35mm film SLRs to 4" x 5" View Cameras has anything to do with my results as compared to yours.

One of the large board room prints can be seen @ my humble gallery (Snowy R headwaters @ Mt Kosciuszco) listed below. Another sample there is the Murray River shot, which was my very first attempt at stitched panoramas, using the 18 - 50mm kit lens.

You'll notice that many of my samples were done with that cam, as well as others with the SD14.

Where abouts in Aus are you located? I'm from Wodonga.

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

You are welcome to visit my humble gallery @ www.pbase.com/jrdigitalart

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the welcome, i am based in the Dandenong Ranges in Melbourne.

I think there is much to learn about these cameras, the main problem i have is noise in the dark areas of my images and a general lack of sharpness. As i have had a love/hate relationship with the camera, i haven't done much research, mainly believing it was the camera.

After finding out about the various lens options, it has renewed my faith and interest. Some of the images i have seen out of these cameras are simply stunning, i have to accept i need to learn how to get the most out of it.

I have bought about 4 M42 lenses, and i am on to a few beautiful old Leitz lenses, the Leica mod is very enticing. I am thinking about relegating my SD10 to general/travel uses and a new SD14 R as my main camera. I ride motorbikes, so being able to take the SD10 on the road is a blessing.

Are there any guidelines to what size images should be posted on the site?

Cheers

Steve

Well, Steve ...

... I used to live way up Upwey way myself. :) But I have been a Wodonga resident since 1974.

About noise from the Foveon imager, particularly from high ISO settings. It is very important, in many instances, to "expose to the right", using the histogram to confirm it. It is amazing how detail in the highlights can be recovered in PP. Experiment and let us know how you get on.

Another thing, Klaus has a pretty good workflow for getting rid of noise if it is unavoidable. Check out his posts and see for yourself what a resourceful artist he is with his SD cameras.

Sincere regards, JR

Please visit my humble gallery @ www.pbase.com/jrdigitalart

I think under exposure has been the main issue. I was reading Luis' Linear RAW conversion techniques, looks very promising.

I checked out your gallery, it seems ww share many interests. I loved the Wallace Hut at night image..... STUNNING

Your Muscle car drawings are fantastic, i have a GTHO drawing that was done about 30 years ago by a wonderful artist, i'll try and capture it and send you a pic.

I spent a weekend down at Phillip Island for the historic meeting a couple of months ago, the SD10 was very frustrating......:z04_zeter01: But it still has that allure that encourages me to persist.

Reading a few of the posts here, i too am probably a little old school, i want to improve my eye, more than my camera. There is an art to photograhy that seems to be lost/undervalued with todays modern cameras that do it all for you in the blink of an eye. I want to work at it, i want to get better at thinking about the shot, not doing it all in post!!

Cheers

Steve

Reading a few of the posts here, i too am probably a little old school, i want to improve my eye, more than my camera. There is an art to photograhy that seems to be lost/undervalued with todays modern cameras that do it all for you in the blink of an eye. I want to work at it, i want to get better at thinking about the shot, not doing it all in post!!

Yes, Steve, a lot of people today expect the camera to take the picture. Now, with the continuing introduction of advancing technologies that can detect particular elements within the frame (face etc) there will be even less emphasis on the human requirement. Sadly, not everyone aspires to be a photographic artist by maintaining control over the camera nor the brush.

All our emphasis is on gaining time, not having to "waste it" by having to concentrate on a process that can be so easily managed by a technology. For instance, people that "use" Adobe Photoshop to create "art", when in reality they're just using a multitude of automated software plug-ins, algorithms etc., by pressing on screen buttons and then proudly proclaim the result to be their "creation".

There is less and less individuality in art today, but more and more visual artificial similarity with this digital age. The empowerment of automation.

Sincere regards, JR

Please visit my humble gallery @ www.pbase.com/jrdigitalart

Steve,

Luis's...lens adapters are great...I have the Nikon F one....love it in fact have bought more MF lenses do to it.....

If I can help any let me know...

Tony C.:z04_cowboy:

Thanks Tony,

I have the jtat M42, and today my new/old Pentacon 135mm 2.8 has arrived, my SMC Tak 50 1.4 should arrive any day.

All this new found enthusiasm is a bit of a worry now!! I think i have about 40 lenses in my eBay watch list!!

I have already bought a 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, and have my eye on a few more Leitz.

My SD10 has done little work due to my frustration with it, but with this new enthusiasm, i hope to wear its shutter out :)

It looks like alot of my time will need to be spent learning how to best process my RAW shots, i must say it is a little overwhelming at this stage, so many options and opinions...

Cheers

Steve

The only issue I had with my SD10 was the battery life....that is what pushed me to get the SD14....large leap...and well worth it...

Be carefull...you'll end-up like me..the wife comes in and tells you...to get rid of stuff....or else...:z04_wife:

However....I have found a love for older glass..and since it is cheap...well one or two new ones will not matter...

Tony C.:z04_cowboy:

Shoot RAW the only way to get the images right...also turn off your image review feature...will keep the camera from locking up.....while shooting....

I use Sigma Pro (first) then use Nikon NX2 (second) then PS or other software....most of my stuff does not make it past NX2....I don't like overworking an image....and I only use NX2 because it lets me crop and a few minor adjustments that Sigma Pro does not have...(oh and it has a great touch-up tool for dust or particles on your sensor...)

Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

Back