DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Wild Animals....

Guest .

Banned

Attachments

• Sample 2.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Sample 3.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 3.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Sample 9.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 9.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Sample 10.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 10.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Sample 11.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 11.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 7
Hi Klaus,

Welcome back!
On Sample 4.jpg (2 of 4) I like how the hover fly seems to be eying the ant.

And one with all yellow bee and yellow flower is cool too.

The lizard with the shallow DOF, seems like it is smiling, well done! :)
all great pics with fantastic color and creative composure!

Robert

Hi All,

the lizards are AL-shots! Reptiles do not tolerate flashlite. Therefore you have to go for fast apertures.

They are fairly small! Their heads are much smaller than a fingernail.

Those with really shallow DOFs are done with the 105mm 2.8 EX MACRO on open aperture.

The first one is done with the 18-200mm DC OS + special macro-tube.

I went for this solution in order to make use of the lenses optical stabilizer. I had the lens at the long end (200mm). 6.3 aperture realized wider DOF. The OS made 1/100s possible with 200mm freehanded.
Isn't it fascinating what this hyperzoom does in the macro range?!

The macro tube is the one which Uwe developed some time ago. At 200mm you can focus from front lens up to 6ft (2m) distance.
The lizards are all SD14 shots.

All insects are done with flashlight (SD9). I went for a very old ring flash (SOLIGOR AR-30-T).

If you do small insects large scale, there is not much choice but to go for flash light. DOF becomes shallow to an extent that you would not be able to even identify the insect. It is not more than a piece of paper at 2.8 aperture at 105mm. Beyond that much mor focal length is necessary to not fall below the insects flight distances.

With my shots above aperture is slowed down to f:22 ... impossible without flashlight. The other thing is that the short flash aperture prevents you from blurring your shots.
Insects do not mind the flashlight at all. :)

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Back