DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Upgrade - GAS

I’m not a fan of PASM. what are the advantages of it?

We should really start a new thread about this. From my viewpoint: The main advantages are auto reset of settings and convenience with two multi-purpose wheels.

E.g., the PASM design allows user modes. I am using them all the time because they make sure that I have the settings I need. Changes are not automatically saved in these modes. Even with PASM only, I think it is easier to switch the AE mode compared to turning several wheels spread around the camera. The Nikon Z5 has also an ingenious alternative exposure correction on the other wheel in A mode, which resets itself automatically.

Is there an official list of lenses that can actually take advantage of the improved sensor? I do BTW like the small size of f/2 primes.

All lenses will benefit from 40 MP vs. 26 MP, but not all lenses will be able to really use the full potential of that new 40 MP sensor.

Therefore if you buy a 40MP model, you will benefit also with lenses which are not on that list. Just not as strong as with the newest designs.

I can live with that, because with an APS-C body, I prefer smaller size over better image quality, especially when the IQ is already good enough for me with 24MP :)

All lenses will benefit from 40 MP vs. 26 MP, but not all lenses will be able to really use the full potential of that new 40 MP sensor.

Therefore if you buy a 40MP model, you will benefit also with lenses which are not on that list. Just not as strong as with the newest designs.

I can live with that, because with an APS-C body, I prefer smaller size over better image quality, especially when the IQ is already good enough for me with 24MP :)
The truth is I don’t print photos but share them online. I’m thinking 40 MP would be a waste for me at this time. I wonder if all 24MP in the Fujifilm line will go by the wayside sooner than later, just to keep competitive.

The truth is I don’t print photos but share them online. I’m thinking 40 MP would be a waste for me at this time

Yes, that would be a waste of money, hardware space and unnecessary higher computer requirements.

I wonder if all 24MP in the Fujifilm line will go by the wayside sooner than later, just to keep competitive.

I think it is less a question of competitiveness. They can offer two lines side by side: models with 40MP and models with 24/26/28 MP. Like they do now with XH2 and XH2s.

The question is more: can they afford two lines side by side in a shrinking market and will Sony or others offer in 3 years still APSC sensors with less than 30 MP?

If Fuji can not buy sensors below 30 MP from a manufacturer, they are forced to put sensors with higher MP in all models. Same for all other brands.

Back