DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Help needed...

I think, you will use GraphicConver only to save the pictures as (16bit ?) .tiff, and the further processing do in PSD or other software you are familiar with.

GraphicConverter is really the "Swiss Army Knife" for opening picture files. It doesn't ask big about the filename extension, but just rolls up its sleeves and starts works. The software is really worth the money.
I am quite sure it only works with X3F's built-in jpeg, i.e. not with the ray-file itself. You need SPP for Mac or for older versions of X3F - Iridient Developer ( https://www.iridientdigital.com/ )
SPP versions can be downloaded here - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s0sfxoxcpkqd84c/AAAeiKF5679ia9PfEzksFMwwa/SIGMA Software

I have tested the files and they seem to be truncated. Header and JPEG part seem to be intact, but at the end there seems to be something missing. (No app would open the files except GraphicConverter, and GraphicConverter gave a “Truncated X3F image” warning.)

I would suggest that you check through *all your backups* if there is still any non-truncated version of those files present in one of the backups.

Last edited:
I have tested the files and they seem to be truncated. Header and JPEG part seem to be intact, but at the end there seems to be something missing. (No app would open the files except GraphicConverter, and GraphicConverter gave a “Truncated X3F image” warning.)

I would suggest that you check through *all your backups* if there is still any non-truncated version of those files present in one of the backups.
Thank you for your support, Paulsch. As another forum member stated, the recovery software of my RAID backup sytem may be the culprit.

Thank you for your support, Paulsch. As another forum member stated, the recovery software of my RAID backup sytem may be the culprit.
If you only have that one backup then you may be out of luck.

I just thought, maybe if you have another backup or another type of backup, or another method of accessing the backed-up files (e.g. if you can access the backup-files without using that particular recovery software) then you may find an intact copy.

Personally I had a couple of cases where a file was defective in one backup but it was perfectly fine in the second backup.

I have lost the original files forever, because I inadvertently copied the RAID backups to recordable DVD's. I hope these are the only casualties. I am thankful for your consideration, thank you kindly.

Back