DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which DSLR for my Zeiss lenses

gunteach

Hello to all. I am new to digital photography, but not photography in general. I realize that there is a wealth of experience here and would like to ask for advice. I'm thinking of buying a DSLR with which I would like to use my Zeiss C-Y manual focus lenses with an adapter. I would describe my user level as "serious amateur" who wants to learn digital photography. Can experienced members point me toward a DSLR? I assume from reading posts that it will be a Canon. I like informal portrait work and street photography best. I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want a toy either. I currently use three 167 MT bodies as well as a 137 and 139. I have four Zeiss manual focus lenses, three primes and one zoom as well as dozens of the Yashica lenses of different types to experiment with. Any input would be appreciated.

Tom

What about Olympus e-300? Has anyone tried it? Does it require an adapter or modifying Zeiss CY lenses. What kind of results. The E300 gets terrific reviews on its own, doesn't it?

Tom,
I recommend a full frame DSLR camera since it will help you manually focus easier. Furthermore, the full frame will give you the similar focal length of your Contax Zeiss lens you are accustomed to when you were using them on film SLR camera. You can also interchange focusing screen to help you manually focus better. I come from manual focus camera background thus I do not find the manual focus on the DSLR as difficult.

Here are my suggestion according to preferences:

A. Full Frame DSLRs
1) Canon 1Ds Mark II (the best full frame DSLR in the market)
2) Canon 1Ds Mark I (this is cheaper but the highlight is cut off but still one of the best DSLRs you can have in the market).

B. 1.3 Crop Factor DSLR
1) Canon 1D Mark II

C. 1.6 Crop Factor DSLRs
1) Canon 20D
2) Canon DRebel XT
3) D60
4) 10D
5) DRebel
6) D30

-Son

Check out the Canon Rebel XT and the 20D. The 20D has a more professional build and features, the Rebel XT is newer. Beyond that are the 1D Mk II, 1Ds and 1Ds Mk II, with any of which I assume you would be breaking the bank
happy.gif

Hi Son! Nice to see you in these parts. It's quite a bit more relaxed around here
happy.gif

If you don't want to break the bank and not wanting a toy, Canon 20D is just for you IMO. You may get a cheap kit lens with it and get use to all the full features. If you like the AF and other metering mode, you have the option to get more Canon glass. You can always get a adaptor for your C/Y lense.

A full frame Canon dSLR will take most advantage the most for those exotic CZ lenses.

Some C/Y lenses are better than the other. Some are not better than the Canon lenses, so it may not worths the trouble. I am sure Son or someone else can tell you more.

Likewise, I am please to see Son join this side of the forum.

When it comes to CZ lens advise, Son's the man. But he will break your bank (well, his suggestions will, not him personally
biggrin.gif
).

DJ, it is good to see an old friend from another forum here since I joined the Contax Forum. I guess this is where I should belong with folks that love Zeiss lens.

-Son

i decided Olympus E-300 for my Zeiss lens. i own the 18/25/35/50/85/135/80-200/300 lens, for wide angle, i will use the ZD 14-45, i'm plan to get the comming ZD 8mm or ZD 7-14mm in the near future, it's a great lens too, for 100mm and above, i will use CZ 50/85/135/80-200/300, with the 2.0 Crop Factor, it's become 100/170/270/160-400/600

i'm use the adapter from Cameraquest. the adapter are much better than EOS-C/Y adapter because you only need to have one, you no need to remove the adapter when changing lens, for EOS-C/Y adapter, you will have to get as many adapter as the nos of Zeiss lens you have

E-300 + CZ 85mm/F1.4

393243.jpg

E-300 + 50mm/F1.4

393244.jpg

Son

Nice to see you here. Also DJ. If you remember we were together at Alain Briot's Navajolands workshop in September.

Stay in touch
Woody Spedden
432677.jpg

Back