DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

After capturing some shots in raw mode and making some 16 bit files, I took these to my lab for processing on their Noritsu 2901. They informed me that this machine only recognizes 8 bit. What are the printing options for the 16 bit 35 mb files?

> >Austin, > > > >It is not hype. Please go the the SIGMA web site > (www.sigmaphoto.com) and look at the images. > > > >William >

Many of the claims made about the Foveon are simply hype. Yes, there is a camera, yes it takes pictures, and sometimes good ones, but sometimes really bad ones:

http://www.pbase.com/image/10390721

And...as I've said, most of the issues that the Foveonites bring up as to why the Foveon is so much better are either non-existant issues, exaggerated issues, or issues that existed at one time, and have been long since solved.

I think this is quite OT though for this group...so I'll end any Foveon discussion here. Personally, I'd LOVE to have an N-Digital, but it is currently price, performance (limited ISO) and lense prohibitive for me.

Regards,

Austin

***** SOMEBODY MENTIONED, that they ca get a new contax ND for 2200? = where can we get one of these for 2200

=20

Mehrdad,

Gareth stated that the price of the ND has dropped $2,200. since it's launch.

John

2200 price drop is more like it. as a current owner, i think that a = canon, fuji or a nikon is a better choice. i ask everybody not to buy this = camera till contax address and fixes the issues with this camera

=20

1) battery problem

2) dinky flash system only works in "P" mode

3) at least quadruple the buffer and improve the write speed to = flash cads

4) and lastly redo the software or contract phase one for support of = the ND.

=20

=20

except you don't want to order from a&m unless u are ready to get = hassled and ripped off=20

I doubt this is a Contax USA backed camera. Gray Market most likely. The ad quoted makes no mention of any warranty nor does it say USA anywhere I could see. No way would I ever buy a digital camera without a factory warranty. Electronic stuff is to fragile. I just had my Contax 645 120mm, f/4 Macro go on me in the middle of a shoot. The electronic aperture stopped working, won't stop down at all. Tested it on 2 cameras and it's the lens for sure. NEVER had this happen on a mechanical Hassey lens in 30 years of use.

I own an ND. Bought it when they first came out. The first one I got had to be returned because it was defective but they lost it in the warehouse somehow and it took weeks to finally get one back albeit with newer firmware.
Since then I have been living with much less than the support I get from Kodak and by support I do not mean telephone tech support I mean firmware fixes, software improvements, a cohesive web site etc.
I still like my Contax (once in a while) but consider it merely a "collectors item" until they get with it. But I do not believe they ever will.
The management of this company must be very embarassed at their effort with such a great brand.
I.E. get a Canon or Kodak or even a Nikon.

Back