CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Tamron 70210 MF issues

neelsvosloo

I recently bought a Tamron 70-210mm f4-5.6 zoom for my Aria, thinking the price and weight advantage over the Zeiss VS 80-200 made it worth a try.

First results have been pretty good (what are other users' experience?) but I'm a bit annoyed and puzzled by the Adaptall 2 mount.

First, the set aperture isn't always picked up correctly by the camera, apparently caused by loose tolerance on the adapter's lever. I think this is a known problem.

Secondly, I seem to have the C/Y mount adapter, and not the correct Contax MM Program, which has been discontinued according to Tamron's UK distributors. Does anyone have experience of this adapter, or know where to find one? Does it work better, apart from making shutter speed priority and program modes available?

jeff

>> Contax MM Program, which has been discontinued according to Tamron's UK distributors.<<

I think that you should check the Tamron website. I find it hard to believe that Tamrom would discontinue the MM mount and start making the older AE mount again when the MM mount works perfectly on the older AE cameras. Some of the mounts do loosen up with use. Did you get a new one? Jeff

neelsvosloo

Tamron UK actually closed last year, with all their business handled by a company called Intro 2020. The US Tamron site still lists all the mounts, and several US shops are selling them on the web. The UK business seems to be a bit of an orphan, with the distributor seeming to confuse "discontinued" with "not stocked".

I tried two new mounts in the shop, and both were at least half a stop out, both on my Aria and a new RX. A used one they had did seem even less accurate.

tbc

Hi Neels,

Tamron 70-210mm f4-5.6. I have used several Tamron zooms, I have been very pleased with the 80-210, the old 70-150 is not quite as good.

See my posts in the Contax forum on the Adaptall mounts. > First, the set aperture isn't always picked up correctly by the > camera, apparently caused by loose tolerance on the adapter's lever. Yes, this is irritating. But it won't affect your exposures.

Contax Program MM adapter. The tab allows the camera to "think" it has an MM lens on it. Whether the camera selected aperture is right on or not is not guaranteed, as it would be with a Zeiss MM lens.

I have both types of adapters, but, if you can live with the Av mode, I'd be happy with that. I note that the Contax MM adapters sell for a lot more than all the others (except the Leica R4), but you might find someone or some store that has one. Contax is still not that popular. Best wishes on the use of your 70-210 Tamron Tom C

paulcontax

Hi folks, there have been at least 3 different Tamron 75-150. I tried one of them (3.5) and it's been quite good(compared to some Sigma/Tokina/Soligor-Telezooms and the Yashica 135). I have tried several Tamron tele-zoom-lenses too and the mentioned compact one wasn't the best but not the worst either (the 3.8-4/70-210 wide opened has real low contrast). The best one is the 3.5/70-210 but I never tried the 2.8/80-200. Especially the build-quality of these big ones is MUCH better... The 3.5 is also nearly a macro-lens ! (YES i have the 2.5/90 macro too) Nearly same quality gives the 60-300 but there are at least 2 different versions with different optical quality - so take care. Sharpness of the Tamron-lenses is good but they cannot be compared to the Zeiss-lenses in contrast, color, vignetting and so called bokeh. I use many Tamron-lenses (I have Pentax and Canon and Rollei -for the Zeiss-lenses are much cheaper there- too) (28-70, 28-80, 35-135, 70-210, 90, 500, 2x-converter) and I'm quite satisfied with them but as you use Zeiss-primes you're infected by the Zeiss-virus : They're unbeatable ! (I even tried Leica-lenses but the 2.8/90 and 135-lenses weren't as good as the Zeiss-ones but much more expensive) Best wishes Paul

J

John_bird

Hi has anybody used the SP70-210. Alreay have a SP300 its not upto Zeiss standards but its not bad and wins hands down on weight and close focus ie. Approx 4ft. which makes it a good len to go walking with.

jeff

I have the SP 70-210 f3.5 and find it quite good. Although it's good through out the range I personally found it best at f11. I have no problem recomending this lens. As for your SP300, it must be the f5.6 as I have used and find the f2.8 better than the CZ 300 f4. I also have the SP300 f5.6 and found it to be nearly on par with the CZ300 f4. Sorry, I'm no fan of this CZ lens. The CZ VS 100-300 is amazing though. Just what I found, Jeff

J

John_bird

Hi Jeff thanks for the usfull and to the point information, managed to pick up SP 70-210 + 2x SP converter with cases in ex condition for approx £56 which included P&P and wire transfer of cash.So I'm a happy Bunny. As regards adapters I was told by a dealer with no axe to grind that there were two differant AE mounts made and that the first model had a grub screw that should be changed to set the max apeture of the attached lens.

wolfram_sch

>Hi Tom! I am interested in the topic about the Adaptall mounts MM/AE. But I could not find your posts. Could you give me a hint?

tbc

Hi Wolfram, I replied to a thread "Tamron 28-200" on 6/9/03.

I replied to a thread "Please Explain the Difference between AE and MM Lenses", on 5/15/03.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Tom C

neelsvosloo

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've since discovered that I do have the MM adapter (a bit disappointing that the dealer was so vague).

Also found information on this forum on how to adjust the MM tab on the adapter so that the camera will pick up the correct smallest aperture (32). I played around with this, but it seems that when the mininum aperture is picked up correctly, the maximum is a half stop out, and vice versa!

Also, this does not change the fact that adjustment through the aperture range isn't always picked up correctly by the camera, and while this doesn't affect exposure (the lens does stop down to the set aperture) it does affect the TTL meter reading. In my opinion, this detracts from the portability advantage of the lens, which sold me on it: Portability isn't quite so attractive when metering is fiddly.

So, I'll be selling this lens and getting something else. I have the Zeis 28, 50 and 85 (f2.8) primes, thinking of getting the 135. Any recommendations?

Thanks, Neels

paulcontax

Hi Neels, the 2.8/135 is a MUST in my eyes ! A real great performer, high quality ! Nothing better in my eyes (and I've compared it with Leica, Canon 2.8/135 - Pentax 2.5/135 is next best) in this range. The 2.0/135 should be better but who can afford it ? You already have the 2.8/85 so I do not recommend the 100mm-lenses which are too close to it. Your problem with the Tamron is only relevant with program- and TV-mode, not with AV-mode. I'm not using a Contax with P- or TV-mode so I don't have this problem. The Yashica 107, 108, 109 and FX103 (which have P-mode too) should not have the same same problem as the Contaxes. Best wishes Paul

wolfram_sch

Hi to all!

I had the same problems like Neels with the MM-adapter on my Tamron 2,8/300. I tried out 6 (!) different MM-adapters on three Contax cameras (RX, ST and Aria). Each adapter showed different values not only on one camera, but also each single adapter showed different values on all cameras. So I skipped to the AE-adapter, which shows the correct value.

What interests me is, if the aparture blades of the Tamron act like the the blades of the old Zeiss AE-lenses or like the new blades of the MM-lenses.

When I am using my Tele-Tessar 4/300 I choose the green aparture value and the 4000th sec on my Contax cameras and let the override function do the rest. I still would like to use my Tamron the same way.

Wolfram

J

John_bird

Hi I have a tamron MM adapter on an old 300mm 5.6 SP and that shows correct values for aparture in the view finder display,were as the old AE adapter was always 1/2 stop off.
In case it helps its engraved 54B No905809. have not tested it in Tv mode yet so cannot provide information on MM function, but I will post when I have.

J

John_bird

Hi just a thought are you following the instruction and seting the lens to max aparture befor fitting the adapter.

tbc

Reply to Wolfram Schnuebbe on Wednesday, July 09, 2003

MM and AE Tamron adapters on Contax.

aperture blades of the Tamron act like > the the blades of the old Zeiss AE-lenses or like the new blades of > the MM-lenses. The MM adapters will bring up all the programs of the Contax. However, the only way you'll know if the Tamron lens+MM adapter works as accurately as a Zeiss MM lens is to make a test with slide film, shoot Tv, varying the speed to see if the camera sets the correct f/stop. The slides should be all of the same density. Although, in my experience, the MM adapters did not cause the body to register the exact f/stop, I found this function did not affect the actual f/stop, meter, or exposure. Hope this helps, Tom C

joanjordi

I have a very old Tamron 200 f3.5 adaptall 2 lens with an AE mount. Nowadays I'm testing it with a RTS3 body, blocking the "MM lever" in order to use the Tv. First results are quite good. I've noticed the same problem than others with the wiewfinder aperture indicator.

In the lens manual is noticed the use in shooter priority in some 80's camera bodies. In fact, the f32 indicator is in diferent color and with an "AE" expression.
>First, the set aperture isn't always picked up correctly by the camera, apparently caused by loose tolerance on the adapter's lever. I think this is a known problem<

Somebody in a photo store has noticed me that this problem is very common in used adaptall 2 mounts. But only affects the metering in M or AE mode and, I think, only in a half stop.

joanjordi

>Your problem with the Tamron is only relevant with program- and TV-mode, not with AV-mode. I'm not using a Contax with P- or TV-mode so I don't have this problem. The Yashica 107, 108, 109 and FX103 (which have P-mode too) should not have the same same problem as the Contaxes.<

Somebody in a photo store has noticed me that this problem is very common in used adaptall 2 mounts. But only affects the metering in M or AE mode and, I think, only in a half stop. This Yashicas detect half stop apertures? I have a 139Q and a RTS3. I have only the problem with the RTS3, which detect half stops in M and AE mode. I never had this problem in 15 years with the 139Q.

wolfram_sch

> It was amazing. The first MM-adapter showed a aparture value of f 2 - a 2/300 lens! I guess the question if this effects the exposure depends on how the Contax cameras works. I hope I can put this into the right english terms - after a days work and while the neighbors dog is barking hystericly.

So: Does the camera read out the values by the levers (*before* the blades where shut) plus the light, or does the camera calculate the shutter speed by the exact light that comes inside *after* the blades where shut?

Well, I did a lot of testing with my Tamron 2/300 ;-) and MM-adapter plus RX/ST/Aria, Sensia 100/400, on TV and AV. The slides showed underexposed results on f 3,5 (less) and 2,8 (more). Which tells me that this combination does the same job a Tele-Tessar 4/300 can do! The other aparture values were obviously correct. I even tested, what happens, if I turned the the mount left and right (which did not effect the exposures). The MM adapter I used was the one, that show the f 22 and f 2,8 values correctly on the display of all three cameras - but the values in between showed different values.

Since it ist just that additional lever that makes the difference between the MM and AE lenses, why that? Like I said, the AE adapter shows the correct values on all cameras.

Disturbed Wolfram