DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

EM10ii EVF auto-sw not working

Bob Carstens

My EVF auto switch no longer works properly. I had to change the setting to turn it off and use the switch on the side of the viewfinder. The only way to energize the rear display if I don't is pull the display away from the body. I've tried a camera reset but no help.

The auto switch works by means of an infrared emitter and receiver (sensor) close to each other. When a nearby object (like your face) causes enough of the infrared light to bounce back from the emitter into the receiver, the camera assumes your face is close to the EVF.
The fact that your EVF remains activated, may mean that there is something constantly reflecting some of the IR light into the receiver. Look for dust or dirt, or maybe a hair. If it still happens after cleaning everything, then there may be a problem with the detector itself.

Here you can see the emitter and receiver on an OM-5, on the EM10 it should be very similar.
EVF1.JPG
  • Panasonic - DMC-GX1
  • OLYMPUS M.60mm F2.8 Macro
  • 60.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/80 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 800

Thanks to the less-than-perfect IR filter in my GX1 and overlaying two exposures, we can see that the transmitter is the top element.
Fun fact: hitting the EVF with an infrared remote control will briefly activate it.
EVF2.JPG
  • Panasonic - DMC-GX1
  • OLYMPUS M.60mm F2.8 Macro
  • 60.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 2.5 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 800

Thanks for your very informative reply. I tried cleaning the area & also hitting that area with an infrared transmitter (tv control) but nothing helped. Guess will have to live with the auto feature turned off and switch with the button on the side of the EVF.

Thanks for your very informative reply. I tried cleaning the area & also hitting that area with an infrared transmitter (tv control) but nothing helped. Guess will have to live with the auto feature turned off and switch with the button on the side of the EVF.

One of the first things I did was to shut off the eye-detect on my E-M10 II. So annoying to have it switching back and forth unnecessarily.
There is a button on the right side of the EVF housing that allows you to switch between EVF and LCD. You might find that more useful.

Back