DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

The best Sharp Lenses....

These are my sharpest lenses I have:

Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Planar T*
Nikon 35mm f1.4 AIS
Canon FL 55mm f1.2
Canon FD 85mm f1.2 L
Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Planar T*
Carl Zeiss Jena 180mm f2.8 "Olympic" Sonnar
Nikon Micro Nikkor 200mm f4 IF AIS
Tamron SP 300mm f2.8 LD IF (60B)

I have many more but they are the sharpest.

Just updating my list with my FD 85mm f1.2 L

The nicest low cost lens that I have found is the Industar 61 l/z
I paid $90 for mine on Ebay. It was still new in the box so I paid a little extra for it.
SDIM3779.jpg

SDIM3775.jpg

SDIM3773.jpg

This was taken with a Helios 44-2 made in 1981. It has less contrast than my other lenses but it's the sharpest overall. It's sharper than any of the Pentax lenses that I have. I don't mind the low contrast since it can be increased with processing.

SDIM1893.jpg

M42 Good options

I have a small set of really cool lenses for use with the SD15

- Fujinon EBC 50mm F=1.4: This lens shows superb resolution and sharpness. Truly awesome

- Fujinon EBC 135mm F=3.5: Also a cracker. Not 2.8 but razor sharp

- Pentax SMC 85mm f=1.9: Very compact and excellent even wide open

- Tamron Adaptall 90mm F=2.5 SP: The best macro you can have in M42. Nothing beats it. Heavy.

- Tamron Adaptall 28mm F=2.5 BBAR: Good and well priced "normal" for 1.6 crop cameras. Much better than Pancolars and Pentacon 29/2.8

- Pentax SMC Takumar 28mm F=3.5: Maybe the best 28mm but F3.5

- Tamron Adaptall 24mm F=2.8: Good option for a "38mm". It's difficult to have something better unless you pay much much more.

- Chinon-Tomioka 35mm F=2.8: Good inexpensive lens. Reasonably sharp.

- Mamiya-Sekor 21mm F4: This is a very rare lens and a decent performer at F4. Excellent at F8. Expensive even well used at ebay, something around $400

I have a small set of really cool lenses for use with the SD15

- Fujinon EBC 50mm F=1.4: This lens shows superb resolution and sharpness. Truly awesome

- Fujinon EBC 135mm F=3.5: Also a cracker. Not 2.8 but razor sharp

- Pentax SMC 85mm f=1.9: Very compact and excellent even wide open

- Tamron Adaptall 90mm F=2.5 SP: The best macro you can have in M42. Nothing beats it. Heavy.

Actually, its more accurate to say its one of the best macro lenses you can get with a native M42 mount. Its contrast in pretty low however and its not really that sharp.
The Nikon Micro Nikkor 55mm f2.8 Ai-S and Micro Nikkor 200mm f4 ED IF Ai-S are both far, far better macro lenses and you can use them as M42 mount lenses via the Roxsen Nikon lens to M42 camera adapter plus an M42-SA adapter.

-

Actually, its more accurate to say its one of the best macro lenses you can get with a native M42 mount. Its contrast in pretty low however and its not really that sharp.
The Nikon Micro Nikkor 55mm f2.8 Ai-S and Micro Nikkor 200mm f4 ED IF Ai-S are both far, far better macro lenses and you can use them as M42 mount lenses via the Roxsen Nikon lens to M42 camera adapter plus an M42-SA adapter.

-

Yes, that was what I meant. But mine has good contrast and it's very, very sharp. I also have three other macros, a Micro Nikkor 50/3.5, a Canon Compact Macro 50/2.5 for EOS and a Sigma 70/2.8 EX DG. The Tamron is a tough match for any of those ones.

If you wanna play with non-M42 , try a Summicron 50/2.5 in Leica screw mount and a M39 to M42 adapter. It rocks ! Or even a Cosina-Voigtlander Skopar 50/2.5 in LTM. Of course the mentioned lenses won't allow infinity focus and they will work like having an extention tube.

I also forgot to mention the venerable soviet Industar-61 L/Z , It's a 50mm F2.8 with a very close focus capability, about 30cm. It can be extremely sharp (if you had luck and got a decent one).

Thanks for the comment !

I recently purchased a Russian Tair 11A. 135mm, f/2.8. Very sharp, and the 20 blades of the iris makes for some great bokeh and conversation.

Back