DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

First specs of E300

I'm trying to decide between an E-1 and the E-300. I've read all the reviews and have looked at numerous online s&le galleries for both models. My conclusion is that at low ISO settings the E-300 produces amazing images. They look like slides. Many of them seem to have that near-3D quality that good slides (particularly Kodachrome 25 and 64) sometimes produce.

>The E-300 can indeed produce strikingly good images - and so can the E-1. The real question is what features, and what kind of camera you're looking for. The E-1 is most definitely a "pro" camera, in terms of build, features, and handling; the E-300 is not. You can work faster and more intuitively with the E-1 than you can with the E-300. On the other hand, the autofocus is better in the E-300 than in the E-1 - and I assume that that improvement will show up in the next iteration of the E-1. As to the 8 mgp v. 5 - what size prints will you be making? For most normal sizes, the 5 mgp sensor is more than sufficient - I've had black and white images blown up to 30x40 from the E-20!

The E-300 is an excellent little camera; but it is not an E-1. But then it wasn't meant to be.

If I put the same lens on an E-300 and an E-1, set them side by side on tripods, set EVERYTHING the same, image quality (raw,jpeg...),ISO, shutter, aperture, etc., will one make a better image than the other?

It all depends upon the iso? Above about 250, the E-1 image WILL look better. At low ISO it won't. But there's also the question of whether you take your photographs with the camera on a tripod, working slowly and deliberately, or whether you work with your camera in your hands....I'd say that while there are some overall improvements that have been incorporated into the E-300, the E-1 is definitely the better camera.

Seems like it. When I have handled them at the camera dealer, the E-300 feels too light. Well, not really light, but hollow. The E-1 felt more solid and had a better grip. Also, more controls which can be adjusted without digging into a menu.

> Is there someone out there who has both cameras to actually do this test for > us? - on a tripod, at ISO 100 and ISO 400 with the better lens on.

Back