DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Inherited a Leica M7 this is my first camera

gr82bagn

This is my first post and I'm really brand new to photography so bear with me. My uncle past away last week and he left me with his camera collection, a Leica c1 in black and a c1 in silver. He also left me an M7 which I will have in my possession by the end of January. It is suppose to be an expensive unit and his girlfriend is a bit slow letting go of it. Anyway, I'm looking for some advise as to what I can expect regarding taking pictures with the M7 and please keep in mind I'm a real rookie but I have a real interest in learning. Any advise is good advise.

Well...sorry about your uncle, but he left you a wonderful present. I will assume you have either a 50mm, or a 35 mm lens,either of which is great to start with, and might serve as your only lens for many months to come.

My suggestion depends upon your previous knowledge, in this case apparently relatively little. First learn about the basics of exposure, etc. by purchasing any one of a number of books for beginners. With the M7 in hand, read the manual and then supplement such with one of the other more specific books that give you more information about "the rangefinder camera" in general, and the M system in particular. One might suggest the book by Easterland on the M7, and Osterloh's book on the Leica M. The latter might be hard to find, but certainly is a classic. Finally, load your M7 ( one might suggest that you pick a good general purpose film with ASA of 200 to 400, and stick with one film for a while )and start to take pictures....many of them, of diverse subjects. Look at the results, and try again. Don't be afraid if your results aren't perfect...take more pictures, and then some more. Within a remarkably short time you will be moderately proficient, and will find yourself bitten by the Leica M lens fever....but that is another story! Best of luck to you, and please let us all know how you are doing.

Such is my motto to learning, read read read. I believe the M7 in question is a 35mm but I will know for sure when it arrives. I will buy some film and shoot away. This should be fun.

There never was a Leica CL in silver. Are you sure about the model?
Sorry to hear about your uncle, but you have a great momento to remember him by and you will be able to pass it on. You'll have to find yourself a decent paying job to "feed" the Leica bug.There are some good books on Leica M photography. The intruction book is a very good start! Good luck
Colin

Colin,

It says "C1 Leica Camera AG" in the back, just like the black one. The black unit has a battery the silver unit does not. Today I will purchase a battery for the silver unit and film for both. I will start testing my photographic skills today at a New Years Eve party. I hope you all have a great New Years.

> Hello Michael,

The M7 is a fantastic camera and not that hard to use. I recommend you set the shutter speed to 'A' and let the camera choose the speeds based on the light. I presume you will get a lens too - you will have to set the aperture of the lens to something reasonable (maybe learn what the aperture means to depth of field?) and focus. The M7 is not a point and shoot - it is a point and focus and shoot - so don't forget to focus. Once you are used to the camera, you can start playing with the manual shutter speeds - not that hard either. If the camera has no users manual I recommend you acquire one, it will explain simple things like how to focus, how to change the batteries, and how to load the film.

The C1 will give you a simplistic point and shoot experience and excellent results, but the M7 with a Leica lens will turn you on to photography!

Good luck, - marc

The M7 has arrived and it looks like a serious camera, It came along with a Digilux 1 digital camera. I'm using the digilux and I really like the quality of the pictures. I have yet to open the box on the M7. It's brand new and he never used the camera, his girlfriend indicates that it's a collectors piece. Based on my internet research and information on this board the Leicas are big collector items unlike a typical Cannon or Kodax.

Your making me salivate, You must have been a great nephew. If I were you I'd figure out what you want to keep to use and sell the others. I personally would keep the M7 and Digilux. No sense in hanging on to something that your not going to use. The M7 will be something you can pass down to someone else and still be useful, provided they still make film! You picked a good forum to get valuable information from. Good luck!

Michael, While most Leicas are collectible, some are more "collectible" than others. Does his girlfriend know something. For ex&le is it a run of the mill M7 or a "special edition? Any special s/n or markings? Black or silver chrome with any special engravings? What is the code number on the box? You might want to do a bit more digging. Just a thought
Colin

Back