DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

RAW Developer revisited

irakly

Today I played with two pretty interesting applications: dcraw and SharpRaw. The former one is a free open source application, which, unfortunately, works only in a command mode on PC or in X11 environment on OS X. The latter, however, is a full-featured commmercial product, currently available for Windows only, but the manufacturer Logical Designs promises a cross-platform Java version in the near future. After developing some files shot at ISO 400 and ISO 100 I became totally enraged with Kyocera. The files t ISO100 are smooth as a baby's behind (or perhaps even smoother), and at 400 they have noise that is easily desaturated with Quantum Mechanic Pro and looks just like film grain.
For those who do not have time for playing in the command mode, $99 for SharpRaw is not that bad at all, considering that it supports virtually all digital cameras.
www.logicaldesigns.com/Download1.htm

Irakly, where are you? Are you still in Europe or at home?

Any word for me on my web site development?

This item you posted has me intrigued, even though I don't quite understand it. Does it develop ND RAW files?

-Marc

I just downloaded the demo, which doesn't save, but it definitely reads Contax ND raw files - it even shows it on the open file type dropdown list, bless their heart.

It's definitely a slicker program than the Contax software, but does it do a better job? Consider that it's not reading the specific sensor profile. Can anybody comment (Austin?) on the advantages great or small of using this?

DJ

Can you see an on screen image DJ? If so what's it look like? Who cares if it isn't using the profile if the photo looks good?

You sure can see the image and play around with the image, you just can't save it. Because the tools are different than what I'm used to I haven't had a chance to see what you can do with it, just verified that it was indeed workable. What I'd like to find out is if you can indeed get better results than with CRD. Slickness is nice, but only if it delives equal or better results.

My problem right now is that I slipped on my driveway's ice like an idiot and bruised my right arm and wrist, so even typing is a chore. Thankfully I don't think I broke anything, I just hope we don't get another snowfall for a couple of weeks before I heal ... the joys of winter!

DJ

The image at 100% on the screen looks WAY better than the one produced by Contax RAW developer. I actually called the company and spoke to the guy. He said that the new version is due within a couple of months, and it will include custom color targets that would enable calibrating the sotware to an individual camera. We spoke about this stupid CD that comes with Contax ND and came to a mutual conclusion that most likely it is redundand because all cameras are built to the same specs and use identical Philips chips. Should any color fidelity problems arise, the custom color target will absolutely help.

Oh, yes... The new version that I was referring to is going to be Java based and will work on any platform, i.e. Windows, Mac OS and UNIX of all sorts. Professional version for Windows is already available.

The unfortunate problem with Java is that, being an interpretive language, software takes a big performance hit in the trade-off for portability. Let's see how it works out.

DJ

Irakly,

For them to say that "they use identical Philips chips" is like saying we're all buying identical cameras - there are always manufacturing variations, hence the calibration CD. However, unless they had the right specs from Contax, reverse engineering it would be a waste of time for them as an investment, so I can sympathize with their position. Having said that, let's let the results do the talking, as any other type of talk is cheap
happy.gif

Cheers,

DJ
Nursing his arm, wrist and pride ...

I would love to hear about how the software does with the Kodak DCS back for Contax. If it brings it up to the Phase One level taht would be great. These backs refurbished or used are a fraction of the price of the Phase One H20.

Back