DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Black & White TriX or what

Have you tried Agfa APX 100? It's also an old-tech
emulsion with nice grain structure but should give
more resolution than Tri X. You'll get sharp
grain even in a stardard developer and really
sharp grain and acutance effects in rodinal.
Tonality it's similar to Tri X with most of the
contrast range in the mid-tones. Maybe worth a
try?

Has anyone tried Kodak high definition colour negative film yet and if so with what results? I have just bought two rolls to try. It is substantially more than my usual Fuji Sensia, about euro 8.5 per 36 against 6.0. Am I yet another sucker seduced by a fancy name and smart box? Wilson

Two different labs told me that the new Kodak HD films are from the old Kodak Gold with the new package. I have no idea how true it is or they could be wrong.

"Two different labs told me that the new Kodak HD films are from the old Kodak Gold with the new package. I have no idea how true it is or they could be wrong."

I heard the same thing from a lab here in Indianapolis. However, companies have to be very careful about false marketing - I will be down at the local Kodak store this weekend, I'll see if I can remember to ask them what the differences are.

Note that Kodak still has, listed on their web site, Gold film. There is also the HD film. It would seem rather silly to advertise Gold and HD on the same page in different boxes if they are exactly the same.

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2/3/9/543/1094&pq-= l ocale=en_US

-Dana

Found this on the web;

Royal Gold Replacement! by mfd8806 In Kodak's infinite wisdom, they decided to replace the RG400 with High Definition 400. I have used both of these films, and they seem awfully similar to me. I have called and e-mailed Kodak about this and they said that HD400 is in-fact the same emulsion as the latest version of RG400. They were unsure about its relationship with Royal Supra, however. It seemed to stump my sales rep when I asked him about Royal Supra because it is only being sold in the US in the gray market, coming from Europe. So at least we can be a little happy about being able to pick up an awesome film at any local store, but it only comes in 24exp rolls!

After many years of not shooting Kodak at all, I shot some Royal Gold 200 last week and liked it. It even scans nicely. Much to my dismay I then find out it is discontinued. I wanted to buy some for my 12 yr old nephew who I'm hoping encourage as a photographer. (My test rolls of Agfa Vista 200 for him was marginally acceptable, not able to resolve well and incredibly ugly and grainy on scanning) So, if High Definition 400 is Royal Gold 400, is there an equivalent in the 100 and 200 speed? I'd like to get him some good consumer neg film so he's not fighting an uphill battle as he learns. -Lynn

Hell there!
Just logged on, one of those sleepless nights in London, am getting prepared to take some pix of the demonstration against President Bush's visit to the UK next week.
As far as the dilemma about the Kodak colour neg films, nobody has mentioned the Portra UC series, I tried the 400ASA some months ago as a change from my usual Fujicolour, found it ok. Also used Royal Supra 800, must admit I didn't really rate it. All in all I still prefer the Fuji film in 400 and 800 ASA, it was press standard over here before everyone went digital, its still widely used for film jobs.
You can try this online store for cheap film, not sure if they post outside the UK though:
http://www.7dayshop.com/
or:
http://www.mx2.com/
Regards
paul
http://www.britishpressphoto.org/paulmattsson

Back