DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Lens advice

E

evilenglishman

Hi
I am looking to buy a D70 over the next month or two (waiting for a pay cheque). I've been using a Canon D60 up to this point and have been generally happy with it, however it has serious buffer problems, an AF issue or 2 etc..
The store I bought the D60 from will let me upgrade to a 10D for my camera + £800. But for the same amount I can get a D70 and keep my old D60. Depending on how things work out I can later sell the D60+ lenses etc on ebay which will allow me to buy more lenses etc - but thats for the future.
I've read a few reviews about the D70 and wanted a bit of advice about lenses.
My local store has 2 kits available as well as just the body.

Nikon D-70 Body Only Price: £799.95
Nikon D-70 + Nikkor AF28-80mm f/3.3-5.6 G Price: £849.95
Nikon D-70 + Nikkor 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 G Price: £999.95

Are these lenses any good? I generaly shoot portraits/nudes and with my Canon and I tend to stick within the 28-150mm range.
I've read about the Nikkor AF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 D-IF and can't decide if people like it or not
crazy.gif

I could also stretch to the Nikkor AF- S24-120 mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR IF-ED if pushed but can't seem to find a good review of it.

any help is appiciated!

I have the D70 with the 18-70 lens and that's the configuration I would recommend for you. It is quite a good lens. Fast focus (AFS), good zoom range (35mm equivalence of 27-105), the only downside might be some barrel distortion (quite similar to the 24-85g by the look of things).

The 28-80g isn't as good as the 18-70 optically. You'll have to research more into it if you really want it.

I own the 28-105D for my F80, which I found very versatile. Focus speed is fairly average, but the zoom range is great, and little distortion. Not the sharpest lens either but it's a zoom afterall.

Kevin

Ian - I too own the 28-105D and find it to be the most used of all my lenses. I use it on a D70, D100 and N90S. I would recommend this lens for anyone looking for a good all around, versatile lens. I also use the Nikkor 70-300mm, 50mm and Sigma's 17-35 & 170-500 lenses. I built my system with the thought that I have most of the situations I would be shooting, covered...

[What would you recomend for achieving the best quality when shooting =

thanks for the info
kiss.gif

looks so far to be the kit with the 18-70 that might be the best for me.

Back