DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Xpan or crop from MF?

domenico

Hi there! I am thinking of buying an xpan because I really like pano format and xpan has always been in my dreams.
Recently I read a post from a guy who was claiming that xpan format (24x65 on 35mm) is equivalent to a crop from MF negative (let's say for example a crop from a 120 roll shot with a 35mm on a 6x4.5 camera).
I said 'no way', but now I am not so sure...
Xpan's 45 mm covers an angle of 71 degrees horizontally, while the 35 mm of a Pentax 645 covers an angle of 77 degrees. Not this big difference. Now, if I shoot with Pentax 35mm and then I crop under the enlarger, do I really get the same picture of an Xpan?
Did I miss anything in my reflection? :confused:
Thank you
Domenico

It's rather close, but different:

The xpan make 65mm wide (versus 56mm) pictures and is a relatif light camera ideal for sreet pictures.

I cannot recommend the XPAN highly enough. Both the camera and the format are unique; there's nothing else like it out there.

Ditto, the Xpan really is something special - I would really give it a try - it is a unique experience.

I agree with Swissblade, above , and Xpan is a unique camera ... a great format which is quite interesting. I love it and like to tell it is worth trying and see the photos in this perspectives .

Back