DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Vintage Hasselblad..some help.......

vegard_dino

Hi all

I am new here and hope some can help me.

I do seek, dream, of a Hasselblad from the 1950`s-1960`s. Why?
Well, my dad had one, a 500C I believe it was, but that one is gone. Stolen in London 2003. A sad day.

I am not, by far, a pro when it comes to photography, but I do like the style of these old cameras, the feeling of them, the quality they have and also the quality the photos get from them, so that is why I like to get one. To use it now and then, and to have it,, look at it and admire it.

Maybe I am crazy....

So, how are these old Hasselblads?
Is it hard to find a good example today? Will they be VERY expensive?
What do I need to look for? Or stay away from?
How is it to get film to them?

All help, guiding is good to me.

Thank you all for looking.

Have a good evening

Vegard_dino

The 500C was made from 1957 till 1970.
Of course I respect the memories of the camera you father owned.
Would not it be smarter to go for a later body with some improvements.

If you plan to go for a 500C body try to get one that was recently serviced by a reputable company.
Loads of 500C and later bodies for sale.

Please inform us whether you want to use the camera against just owning one to display.
For a user camera I would recommend a 501CM or the currently still available 503CW bodies.

Paul

Hello Paul

Thank you for the reply. Well, yes, I like to use the camera. Maybe not everyday, but now and then.

I guess your right, a newer and then one with more improvements, will be a better choice.
So, then it will make more sense to try and find a good 501CM.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

You got one, and use it?

Interesting to know more....
I do have one, and I do use it as much as I can :)

I'll gladly tell you more. It started a few months back. I was seriously looking into taking up film photography to supplement my digital addiction, and I had my heart set on Medium Format. I had my eye on a piece of stock in a camera shop near to me, and subsequently was was very close indeed to purchasing a Bronica ETRS with a metered prism, grip/winder and a 70mm lens. That was until I was browsing ebay one evening, daydreaming about owning a Hasselblad when I happened upon a 1000F for the same price as the Bronica outfit. Granted, the 'blad didn't have a metered prism or anything fancy like that, but it was beautiful looking, was in fully working order, and came with a zeiss 80mm 2.8 lens. I couldn't pass up the opportunity! Looking at the serial numbers on the body and film back, it is a 1954 model as far as I can see.

I have since purchased, (from the same ebay seller, i might add), the orignal leather case to go with it. I'm in love! :-D

Attachments

• DSC_0068.jpg
    EXIF
    DSC_0068.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0068.jpg
    EXIF
    DSC_0068.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 4
Hi 1000F

Thanks for sharing. Now, that is a nice camera.

Oh, looking at that makes me want one even more.
And, when you use it right, the quality of the pictures are just superb.

Vegard_dino

Back