DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Newbie. Looking to expand my kit and knowledge

i have both 50mm CF and 150mm CF, the 50mm is amazingly sharp, i love that lens, on the other hand is a bit tricky with distorsions, specially for full frame 6x6cm images... you have to play a lot with the horizon.. at least from my experience, in fact if someone knows some tips feel free to share :D

the 150mm is a perfect portrait lens, short distance though, a little compression, if any at all...

never tried longer lenses but definetely would love to use something in the 500mm range :D

Horizon

There are two ways to make life easier with the horizon thing:

Use a spirit level to align the camera. This works best with a tripod. Hasselblad part no is 43117

Hand held shooting is made easier when using a screen with a grid.
The latest is the Acute Matte "D" Hasselblad part no 42217

Older screens that also have a grid:
42250 (not Acute Matte) and 42170 Acute Matte (non D)

Macro?

Mr Hassey or who ever is selling this lens obviously does not know what he is offering for sale.
My guess is he mistook the scale and the control of the floating lens elements for a macro function.
This is not a macro lens.

If the sellers knowledge is not sufficient to describe correctly what he is offering the buyer is probably in for more surprises.

The lens of this type is the early version of the wide angle with floating elements.
Floating elements help to improve the performance of the lens when focused at close range.
Non floating element lenses show a remarkable loss of IQ when focused at short distance.
The edges and corners are suffering from loss of resolution and loss of light.
Is it dramatically bad? NO!
Older lenses without FLE are still being used and deliver great images.

Older second generation 50 mm Distagon lens: http://hasselbladinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3556

The lens seems to have a front focusing ring that has 0.5 to infinity markers upon it.
Is tat what he means I wonder?

Tim

There are two ways to make life easier with the horizon thing:

Use a spirit level to align the camera. This works best with a tripod. Hasselblad part no is 43117

Hand held shooting is made easier when using a screen with a grid.
The latest is the Acute Matte "D" Hasselblad part no 42217

Older screens that also have a grid:
42250 (not Acute Matte) and 42170 Acute Matte (non D)

Thanks, what i meant was that you have to play a lot with where you position the horizon in order to get rid of the heavy optical distorsions (converging lines)

Horizon

That is another thing with horizon.

Most people have problems aligning the horizon in parallel with the picture.

For some reason I am always lucky in this respect.
I took the pictures from my new house with an SWC without finder.
Pure point and shoot technique. They turned out just fine

Most people have problems aligning the horizon in parallel with the picture.

I have this problem only when I had 3 glasses of french MERLOT wine .
For the rest of my shootings I use a spirit level attached to the camera or
tripod .

Jürgen

What a coincidence!

I have the same problem but only after a few glasses of Chateau La Tour 1982.
Other years of this extraordinary wine do not give me problems.

Back