DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which lenses do you use mostly and why

I own a 28/2.8 Distagon and 85/1.4 Planar, both are great lens. The 28/2.8 are great fit for most landscaping, and portrait as well, it can focus clossly up to 45cm, dramatical view for human face.
The 85/1.4 is definitly great appricable for most portrait. Easy to control the distant to talk to the object human, high speed and depth of view.
I use both lens covered most of my pictures, and love them at all.

OK. 25mm - 2.0, 300mm 4.0, 70/210mm zoom, 60mm/macro. 40/80mm zoom. Bought these lenses
years ago to take photo's of children. The 300mm
gave me great "close-ups" at play ground. For hiking or excursions I used the 60mm as a favorite. I am stricly amateur, still mix up f-stop and depth of field. I'm thinking of selling
but second thoughts that I'm giving up items that are keepers. Would appreciate opinions.

I do have the 50 1.4, just didn't use.
RC

german made 25F2.8, 35f2.8, 50f1.4 & 135f2.8..in that order..my only set of zeiss lenses. the wides for landscapes,travel, environmental photos, 25mm especially, since i only have 1 camera body. 35mm for its medium wideness, 50 & 135 for candids & portraiture and tight detail shots..

hi my name is paul,i'm a bassplayer by profession,and an amateur photographer for 25 yrs.or so.i have a 137 ma,and a 167 mt,my lenses are: planar 50 1.7 ae, 35 2.8 ae , 135 3.5 cz jena ddr my fav. 4 portaits and my only german cz lens,and a 28-85 3.3 mm w/c i carry almost everywhere w/ my 167 mt. i took a shot outside my hotel room in macau (used to be a portuguese colony ,near hong kong,now given back to china)thru' glass , at around 5:00 pm using 167mt w/28-85 lens,1/125 sec. 5.6 , on a windy aft. i'd like an honest opinion fr.long time contax users and professionals,if this shot is good enough,or what's lacking ? answers greatly appreciated .

Interesting discussion on lenses. As a photojournalist for over 25 years I have gone through several stages of what lenses to carry/use. First off, Zeiss optics, both for the G system and the slr's are better than any other out there. Forget the graphs and curves, Provia or Reala on a light table, properly exposed through Zeiss glass will beat all challengers. There is one exception, sports, the Nikon or Canon 400 2.8's with supporting F5 or D1H or Canon EOS are the rulers of the sidelines. For sports that is what I use. For all other situations my prime lens is the 45 mm on the G2 or the 50mm 1.4 on an RX. I don't feel my eye or reflexes are good enough for zoom lenses, if you use a zoom, ask yourself how often you use it any other focal length besides it's widest or longest setting. In the bag or on another body I keep a 28, 90 (G) (NOTE: I think the 90 for the G is perhaps the sharpest lens made for 35mm, portraits shot wide open with this lens look 3D!, even better than the 85 1.4) I also carry a 180, a 60 macro a 21(G) and a 18 in case my back is to the wall, but 80% of my work is done with a normal lens. It has taken me many years to learn that if the shot is not there with a normal lens, than perhaps it's just not there. The 50mm is better than any other focal length to "layer" a composition with different elements, and conversely, also the best at creating a "flat" seamless composition. Check out the "Classic" photos shot through the years by the masters, most have been shot with a "normal' or near normal focal length. Forget the gimmicks, if you are reading this you already have the best lenses, spend more money on film, load up your camera and get out there.

Dear Paul,

this thread might not be the right place to upload your photos. The old photo-section is still under construction. As soon as the newly purchased software is reliable enough to go online, I will make an announcementg. I am sorry that this is taking so long, but the software developper was overpromising and underdelivering, so I have to wait till all the bugs are fixed.

dirk

I would like an opinion. I recently purchased an
RTS11 in excellent condition. I realize I may have made a mistake. I am getting older and blinder. Maybe I should, instead, purchase the G2? Any comments or converts who have left the RTS system and bought into the G2? I have never had auto focus since Zeiss was my glass of choice. I shoot medium format Zeiss glass and love the contrast and colors. With 35 I really need something for headshots as well as occasional scenics. The primary reason I bought the RTS11 was to use in conjunction with the 85 or 135 mm lens for headshots. I further dislike the idea of buying more manual focus stuff that will be extinct, especially since Contax appears to be putting the manual focus stuff to rest. Thanks for any and all
opinions...

> I would like an opinion. I recently purchased an > RTS11 in excellent condition. I realize I may have made a mistake. I> am getting older and blinder. Maybe I should, instead, purchase the> G2? Any comments or converts who have left the RTS system and bought > into the G2? I have never had auto focus since Zeiss was my glass of> choice.

I'm not sure that "extinct"is the right word , dormant perhaps - we are expecting a replacement for the RX at Photokina....... Either way , for the limited usage for which you intend , the G2 would certainly make a fine replacement[and portable!] , however , you need to consider if you can get on with a non-SLR camera . Some can and some cant - you could also maybe consider the new AF 35 mm line , either the N1 or the cheaper and smaller NX might fit the bill better for your purposes....... Steve

John: Your mileage may vary, but I've been pleased with the G2. I have done occasional head shots for friends and family (including some that we used in conjunction with other G2 shots for an actor's portfolio/media package) using the 90/2.8 and been pleased. I use 135mm manual focus lenses on my SLR (167MT) for head shots and find that a slightly more pleasing (tighter, obviously enough) focal length for that particular shot, but the 90mm for the G-series is certainly adequate (particularly given that I do my own processing and printing). I usually shoot it with a Softar filter (particularly for women), though, as it's a little too sharp for some portraits. As to the predicted extinction of manual focus zeiss glass, I'm not sure it's as close as you think. Their model line may change, but some of their highest-end, professionally-geared systems are manual focus 35mm cameras -- I don't think they're going to abandon that too terribly soon. Good luck with your choice.

Back