DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G3 wish list

Thanks Rick,

Do you have any large images that I can see as ex&les? It's a sizable investment and I have so little base my decision on so far.

David

David,

Sorry, no, I don't at present have a way to scan images. A ScanDual III is on my shopping list if I can hold off on getting any more Contax stuff for awhile.

It *is* a big investment, and I'm not often seeing them used on ebay. There aren't many posts under the topic here yet, either. I wouldn't be shy about buying the G lenses gray market to save some money (I don't think I'd get a body w/o the full warranty, though).

--Rick

Clive wrote:
>Does anyone know whether the moveable viewfinder on a G2 would accommodate anything longer than 90mm - say 135mm or wider than the current 28mm?

The G2 viewfinder will only accomodate the range from 28 to 90mm. It would be possible to go further with a G3 but the rangefinder base length would limit the maximum aperture of any longer lenses if they are to be focussed reliably. A 135mm f4 would be feasible, and at the other end it wouldn't be too hard to go out to 24mm, but with no chance of using such lenses on G1 or G2 bodies, I think Contax would be very unlikely to make such lenses.

David,
I have not found any difference in slide quality between the vario-sonnar and the primes. A more objective opinion was the lens test in Popular Photography, which rated it as one of the best 35-70 ever, and comparable to single focal length lenses.
Downside: it feels heavy (290g, in contrast the 28mm is 150g and the 45mm is 190 g -- in case anyone wonders, I think 1 ounce = 28.35 g), it takes a significant part of the viewfinder and it is 5.6 at 70mm.
In my last few trips I have ended up taking only the primes, but not because of quality issues. I just prefer 28mm and 90mm, even if switching lenses is a pain.

I recently bought a Metz SCA 3802 Adapter. On the manual, it lists among the G1,G2 a G3. Just a miss typ, or fact?

Hi Peer,
Do you mean a SCA 380 adapter? That is the one that is dedicated to the RTSiii and G Series cameras amongst others.

Regards,

Clive

For those of us wishing for a DigiG, a ray of hope appears in the latest Zeiss Camera Lens News (#19). Alpa has coupled a Sinar digiback (22 M-pixil!) with a Biogon lens in a mid format camera.

http://www.zeiss.de/de/photo/home_e.nsf/Contents-FrameDHTML/B04079BFC75477C8C1256CED0054968E

The presumption 'till now has been that the designs of the Biogons, Vario-Sonnar and Hologon precluded their use with current imaging chip technology. I don't know how Alpa and Sinar have gotten around this limitation, but it appears they have done so. Et tu, Contax?

One would hope that a digiG would avoid the gigantic digital wart on the back of the Alpa as pictured by Zeiss.

--Rick

G3 here we go: Focus confirmation in the viewfinder. Accurate viewfinder to image relationship (ie what you see should be much more like what you get). Improved manual focus system. Flash hot shoe should be raised or so that you can remove a flash more easily. The Contax G flash is a joke! (I use a Speedlite or metz). Move the top dials in from the edge (one bump & ther're mashed)

Hi Bill,
glad to see you joined the club.
I'm sure you will be able to sell you G 2,8/90mm here.
Peter

Back