DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G3 wish list

Having just spent a good part of my Sunday morning here in the south of France reading through all these posts, I feel a sense of weariness, and frustration. Ladies and gentlemen, there just isn't going to be a Contax G3. The way the photography market has moved in the last 6 months -- digital gains everywhere -- makes it almost infitintely unlikely that Kyocera will invest money in launching another model of obselescent technology, certainly as a film camera. Contax already has 2 digital models, why would they spend a fortune retrofitting a G series to take a digital chip, with all the limitations of the current G design re. the sensor specs.? [Bear in mind that the CCD and oither sensors require incident light to fall as close to 90 degrees as possible, hence the use of less than full-frame chips in most digital cameras, and this rules out the Zeiss 21 and 16 mm lenses immediately.
I love my G2 (+21, 28, 45 & 90 mm): the optical quality of the lenses is amazing, and the build quality of the G2 body is a delight to behold (and to hold). In addition, I use an Olympus OM4-Ti for any shots requiring a lens greater than 90mm, and a Leica Digilux 1. [For the info. of those people above who gave uninformed views on the Leica, it too is beautifully made, has a brilliant lens, has easy to use software, is easy and comfortable to handle, and, most important, takes pictures of superb quality: I have just completed some A4 size portraits, printed on an Epson 2100, that are breathtaking, if anything better than any silver halides I have had printed.]
Anyway, the Contax is always the instrument of choice where the circumstances allow, but I admit to some frustrations, similar to those voiced above, although I do wonder what planet some of our correspondents are living on when I see their wish list.
There are 3 things I would change in any mythical G3: the focus lock/park feature discussed at length above; a new spot metering facility (like my Olympus and Leica), and (for me) most of all, fix the infuriating TLA flash system so that it works accurately with the TTL metering. I use the fill in flash a lot, and am tired of having to use the camera in manual mode, then compensating up to 2 stops in order not to have an over-flashed image. Contax just dropped the ball on these flash units: beautiful to look at, but simply not up to scratch in performance.
But as I said, we are all dreaming. We have to get used to the ideas that we shall have to live wikth our G1s and G2s, for all their shortcomings, and concentrate on the features that have made us Contax junkies in the first place. The only real alternative to a film G2, and it doesn't give autofocus, is a Leica M7, but do you really want to forego your investment in Contax/Zeiss for a system that is much more expensive and a good deal less easy to use? I think not.

Here is my take on what I would like to see in a G3.

1. Drop the manual focus totally and give us the ability to focus lock on any point without the lens moving to and back from infinity.
2. Give us spot metering.
3. Do something about the way in which framing is done, maybe move the viewfinder such that it sits directly above the lens.
4. A functionality that allows you to choose between DOF or hyperfocal distance, and have this information displayed in the viewfinder.
5. A bigger viewfinder i.e. 95% FOV, with informative details like those of the Aria.
6. A better external flash and TTL metering system.
7. If possible, a built in flash that allows rear curtain synch flash.

Based on what I was told at the recent Photo Expo East in NY City, a film based G3 is not likely anytime in the near future. Nor are we going to see a 135 mm for the G system.

Development of film based cameras is being de-emphasized.

Gary, I agree with most of your wish list even as a recent user of a G2. I would not like however to see manual focus deleted, as even in the first few weeks, I have used it a few times. I would agree that it would be nice to have a focus lock switch in addition to the button, where the lens did not move after it was switched to lock. I was a little surprised that the G2 has no DOF indication like my RX, since all the info is available to the CPU; someone just had to write a few lines of code and slightly change the spec of the display, to provide this very useful feature. A little basic pop up flash would be nice - does not need to be too elaborate. The feature I am afraid you may well get that you don't want, is for the whole camera production to be switched to a low labour rate country, which has no tradition of precision craftsmanship like Japan and Germany. Wilson

I don't see the importance of (aside from setting to infinity) manual focus unless the focusing mechanism is optical and mechanical. If one can see a split screen or two separate images from two different optics and make them aligned then manual focus would be great. Otherwise manual focus cannot work any better than the camera could auto focus because we are using the same reading that the autofocus would have used. Am I wrong on this point?

Second, a digital back would be nice. For all really nice cameras like the G2 or a Leica, a digital back would preserve the investment for those that want to switch to digital some time in the future.

Also, I agree with some of the above features. Spot metering would be grand. So would a faster lens.

Scott

For Heaven's sake Doug, pipe down.

Austin has done nothing wrong apart from imparting information.

John

Back