DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

G3 wish list

> Luis,

The above urls don't resolve correctlt in Internet Explorer. Howver, I found that I could get nost of them to work by replacing the funny character after the text string 'id' by an equals sign (=).

Regards Paul Nicholson Leeds

<But on the other hand, I would still like to see focus lock, and an improvised manual focusing method instead of a focusing wheel on the front of the camera body.>

Regarding manual focus custom function #4, which requires holding the focus lock when turning the focus wheel. Has anyone tried it and if so, does it improve manual focusing?

Also, I find some of items on the wish list interesting. History repeating itself. As some of the same comments preceded the advent of the SLR. Framing, focusing, longer lenses etc.

Regards

Gilbert

Hi Gilbert

I use the custom function #4 with setting to 0. It allows me to use the manual focus in a easy way. If I set the camera to MF, I can adjust the focus with the wheel at the front without pressing an other knob. The lens will go to the correct position if you press the releasebutton. While the lens after the exposure goes in its parkposition, the system keeps the focus until you switch off the camera or set it to CF or SF.

Hans Villars, Switzerland

Some comments from a previous post by Colin Thomas about the G1/2:

> I have been using my G1... I like the size compared to the G2

Does anyone really have an issue with the size of the G2 compared to the G1? Someone here measured it...and if I remember correctly, there really wasn't a significant difference size wise, as far as actual volume goes...but does it really feel that much bigger?

> Also in pitch black you cant see through > the finder on either the g1 or g2 because the green led's are all you > can see...

Can anyone comment on their experience with this?

> ...this is where the G1 has the advantage over the G2 because it > has focus assist light you can see.

Does the G2 not have the focus assist light, or it does not have a focus assist light you can see?

> The G2 has an infra-red focussing beam meaning you cant see it so in > pitch dark you are SOL.

Can someone comment more on this, and their experience using the G2 in low light situations?

Regards,

Austin

> Also in pitch black you cant see through > the finder on either the g1 or g2 because the green led's are all you > can see...

By definition, in the "pitch black" you can't see through a viewfinder or through a clear glass window for that matter. However, I took some shots yesterday evening of the moonrise over a fairly dark landscape. I really did not have an issue with seeing out the finder or with the LED. I am a new user of the G2 (having been a SLR person for 30+ years) and I find the camera and the results just delightful.

Matthew

"Also in pitch black you cant see through > the finder on either the g1 or g2 because the green led's are all you > can see..."

I've shot in almost total darkness before, and the only real problem I've had with my G1 was in shooting Mars a few weeks ago.

I could not see the planet thru the 'Finder until I let the camera display time out. However, since Mars doesn't move really fast, and I had the camera set at infinity this was an inconvenience instead of a show-stopper.

You never realize how BRIGHT that display is until you are alone in a dark cornfield beside a country road at midnight with storm clouds creeping up, and THINGS might be tracking you by the light of your viewfinder and noises that the camera makes. Brrrr... Scary.

Don't watch horror movies before you go to do astrophotography by yourself.

-Dana

This is what is so interesting to me about this camera. It produces great results. It is small and quick to use. It tends to make you leave your other equipment behind. My G3 wish list would be for a mechanical manual focus, I think, to allow use of the camera as if it were a true rangefinder. I think that would add a lot to the camera's versatility, and produce different images because it would change the way you interact with the camera. That and a digital back. I understand the limitations that might come with that approach. Meanwhile, the camera is a gem. I just wish I knew what Kyocera is up to with the substantial discounts on the lenses and bodies. Cleaning house? My experience is that other manufactures have done similar things before introducing new models. However, my confidence in Kyocera is limited, even though they produced this remarkable camera. Richard Stone

Gilbert, I have tried playing around with custom function #4 setting 1 my findings were: a) It required the manual dexterity of a Mississippi river boat card sharp to get it to work b) I just could not see the point Wilson

Austin, I recently tried to use the G2 in pitch darkness with a flash at about 8m and it just would not focus on auto. This was with a 20 year old Hanimex with C/Y TTL flash module, which works fine in low light (much better than my TLA200 I have to say). I have at home in UK a C/Y TTL flash with IR focus assist light (I think it's a Centon, basically for a 200/230 Yashica AF), which I will try. I also have at home an enormous Mecabitz 45CL4 with SCA3000/3208 module, which also has IR assist and I will report on that with G2 on my return to UK in mid-Dec. Wilson

Austin,
The G2 "feels" bigger than the G1 (it IS noticeably bigger when you hold them side by side). I can imagine this being an issue for some people (it isn't for me). The G2 "feels" (this is subjective!) a tiny little bit bigger than an M3, although they seem to be the same size when I put them side to side.

The G1 focus assist red light is visible, but it lasts a fraction of a second and then the lens focuses. It does not seem very useful to see anything. (I was just testing all this in the closet). The focus assist light of the G2 is invisible.

In "pitch black" (when the camera was suggesting 2 seconds at f:2 with ISO 6400), the brightness of the LCD display makes it difficult to see anything else. When I allowed enough light for an exposure of 1/15 at f:2, it was not a problem.

My only real life experience with G2 in available light has been roaming the streets of NYC. I did not experience any problem.

Juan

Back