DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Who owns the Zeiss TeleApotessar T 400mm f4 N?

D

dormant

Contax initially said that they wanted to sell a hundred 400/4 lenses per month (probably worldwide). I frankly think that figure is entirely too optimistic, and I don't see on contaxinfo.com that anybody has actually purchased this lense. Does any of people here actually own this lense?

Taylor,

Good question. I don't even remember seeing any test reviews anywhere. But B&H has it in stock, unlike some long telephotos in manual focus line.

I'm actually wondering about something else. Why can't they make same type of lens in MM-mount for the same money? (or even cheaper, considering smaller size) I definitely don't need one, but I'm sure there will be plenty of people that would be more interested in the MM version than N-mount version. I would be personally more interested in affordable (no more than $2000) 200mm f/2.0 in MM mount, but I'm not sure it will ever happen.

Mike.

I've been wondering for some time if anyone could comment on the 400mm f/4 APO...Zeiss is usually stingy with the APO designation, and the few lenses that have been tagged as such were almost shocking in their performance.

I was also really amazed that the list price for this lens is really quite reasonable...between $2500 and $2900 from B&H depending on timing and rebates.

It seems that nobody in their right mind will buy N 400/4. People would rather buy Canon for that use. But that's precisely the reason why I find myself wanting this lense. If nobody buys this lense, how do we find out if it is any good? I sometimes want to run with my wild desire and throw my sense of prudence out of the window, you know. ;)

Besides, I must agree with Mike W. The price is quite reasonable for a Zeiss glass.

If I was invested in the N-system and had several other lenses I would go for it. The 400 doesn't worry me, it is the lack of other useful lenses in the N line up for my purposes that puts me off. I remember Simon Lamb did some preliminary testing of 400 and posted his results here for us last year. The price is very good in my opinion for a lens of that reach and speed. I think 85/1.4 100/2.8Macro and 400/4 are Kyocera's smart releases in that system. (Now if they'd only have a few more pieces like a 70-200/2.8 and 135/2.0 to round it all out - with accurate and reliable autofocus) Of course, this is still just my opinion. -Lynn

The N 4/400 is the main reason I am toying with the possibility of switching from my current MM/Rollei MF system to the N/645 system. The other reason is the smart lens integration betwen N and 645. But I agree there are not enough user and test reports out there about the N4/400. WOuld like to see a comparison beteen the N4/400 and Tamron 4/400 LD Adaptall for ex&le, since the "cheaper" AF route for me would be the Contax AX with the Tamron.

Back