DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Any difference between Zeiss N 85/1.4 and 85 of Zeiss N 24-85 zoom

G

Hi,

I already have N24-85mm zoom with my N1 and I'm interested in N85/1.4
How big difference is between these two lenses if I want to use them for portrait pictures. N85/1.4 is a bit pricy, especially if I have 85mm range on my zoom. I know that optic conditions are different for landscapes and portraits. I've heard that N85/1.4 is soft as it should be for the portraits. If I use my zoom as a portrait lens, will I get worse results?

Kris.

I don't have the 85/1.4 but I would imagine the only difference that is noticeable to the human eye would be dept of field. The main question though is, are you going to purchase the 645. I have both the 645 and N1 and I use the 80/2.0 for portraits on my N1 with the adapter and it is awesome. So if you are going to get the 645 go with the 80/2.0 that way if you don't have to purchase two lenses.

> This is not an answer to the question, but food for thought (or food for confusion?). My wish list contains the 24-85 and the Makro-Sonnar=AE T* 2.8/100. The 100 is similarly priced to the 85, within a couple hundred dollars I think. Since you already have 85 covered, maybe the 100 would appeal to you. It certainly does to me ;) Portraits, macro shooting, top o= f the line lens ... it's my dream lens, can't wait to own it myself. Maybe yo= u could test one? It may compliment your existing system.

Read about both lenses on the Zeiss site: http://www.zeiss.de -Lynn L.=20

I'm not sure where you got the idea that the 85/1.4 is soft. There is no comparison between the 85/1.4 and the 85 end of the Zoom. Rarely, if ever will a zoom lens perform as well as a prime lens.

The 100 macro is a viable idea, but won't quite offer the bokeh that the 85 delivers at 1.4. Also, you may want to check how fast the 100 focuses compared to the 85/1.4.

Oh, by the way, I have a couple of shots in the Contax Gallery using the 85/1.4...and do a search for fotografz... there is a shot or two with the 24-85
at the 85 end of the zoom. The zoom is quite good and in no way am I discounting its' performance.

I agree the 100/f2.8 macro lens is a viable choice. Unless you are looking for speed or the shallow DOF that the 80/f1.4 lens offers, it is a lot of money for this option since you already own the 24/85 zoom.

I like the idea that the 100mm gives you very tight close up for portrait shots and 1:1 reproduction ratio for macro. Also, the 100mm use internal focusing design where the length of the lens does not change when re-focus. The 120mm macro lens for the C645 is huge in macro range.

Please note, the information for the N 100mm is not correct in the Contax web site. For one, the filter size is 72mm, matches my 645 lenses, and it uses the GB-73 hood, also same as the c645 120mm and 140mm lens hood.

Hi again,

Thanx for many responses to my question, but I'm still a little confused. First of all N85/1.4 has different use than N100/2. I'm not sure, but I've read in this group (from an owner) that N85/1.4 is soft because it should be soft, as portraits require a little softness (to hide wrinkles). N100/2 is as sharp as can be because it's the macro lens. Of course I can use N100/2 as portrait lens, but I think that N85/1.4 is better because it's built especially for this purpose.

And second question connected to the first one;
Because portrait lens should be a little soft, should I use portrait film, like FUJI NPS 160?
I know that this film is the special film for portraits because it's very soft. So you use soft lens and soft film, finally you will get double (blury) softness result.

Legendary 85/1.4 MM (for RTS3) was too sharp for portraits and Zeiss has decided to build a little less sharp N85/1.4, is that true?

Kris.

I have not seen any information officially from Contax or Zeiss anywhere indicates that N85mm lens is designed to be softer, although I have not looked into the MTF chart. It is ideal for portraiture, I think, because of the focal length and the large f-stop to give shallow DOF. Generally, Carl Zeiss lens is dead sharp. This is one of their characteristics. Most people will find Carl Zeiss lens are too sharp for portraiture.

There are various type of diffuser and softener filters to help remove winkles. The best I ever used is the Zeiss Softar by Contax, B+W and Heliopan. it can be used at any aperture for greater depth of field without changing the softness. But for 82mm filter size, it is over $200 each.

For films, manufactures refer their portrait films because of the superb skin tone reproduction, not because they are softer. In fact, the Fuji Portrait NPS 160 that Kris referred to is a newer type of fine grain films thus it is sharper than the old generation. If you look at the Fuji web site, "Captures exceptional detail" and "fine-textured images" are listed as part of its features. A lot of pros and films reviews shows that many prefer the NPC over the NPS because it is more forgiving with mixed light situation and produce more accurate skin tone. To me, it is a matter of personal taste. I am running films test for the NPC, NPS and the NPH and the Kodak Portra NC and have not find my favorite portrait film yet. Any recommendation will be appreciated.

If you are doing B&W, there is technique to use diluted developer for softer image.

Here we are!, I've found it!

Post has been sent "by Bernhard Mayr on Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 1:22 am" in "Contax SLR C/Y-mount: Carl Zeiss lenses - manual focus: The 100mm f2 Planar"

"The 100/2 is optically outstanding and if this is what you are after, then it is right for you. I have both the 85/1.4 and the 100/2 and besides the difference in focal length, which is not nelegible, they have a totally different character. The 85 is beautifully soft from 1.4-2.8, which also gives a DOF that is quite right for portraits. Stopped down however it is as sharp as it gets which together makese it a very versatile lens. The 100/2 however is much more clinical (read in the Zeiss datasheet what it was designed for), and sharp even wide open and stopped down it is even sharper than the 85/1.4. It's up to you to decide what fits your needs"

Can you agree with this comment? It looks like this guy has tested both of them.

Kris.

I forgot,

The comment above is about C/Y mount, not N. The question is if Zeiss repeated the story?

Kris.

Back