DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New 28mm in Nmount

G

I have read that Contax will announce a new 28mm lens in N-mount, anybody heard this too?

I hope it is a f/1.4 or f/1.8 if they do come out with a 28. I had the Canon 24/1.4 L, and currently have a 28/1.4 ASPH Nikon. Very useful lens when it's that fast.

if it is 1.4 like the Nikon's and it is being made by contax, the size = will be huge!! but i want it. =20

Dear Terry,

if you don't mind the f/3.5, you can try the C645 35mm with N mount. The C645 35mm, will be 35mm in 135 format, instead of 21mm in 645 format (as I was told).

Terry, I hope the above comments aren't confusing you.
A 35mm from a C645 is still a 35mm when put onto a 35mm camera. Just as a 210mm on an 8X10 camera is still a 210mm when put onto a 35mm camera. The lens(es)description (35/210/etc.,is of focal length that don't change based on what body it may be connected to.
What does change, however, is the angle of view based on the camera's film format.So, a 35mm from any system(or a 350mm for that matter) when coupled to a 35mm body will give you angles of view that as a 35mm user, you can relate to.
When one couples a 35mm lens to a C645 you get an angle of view approximately the same as a 21mm lens on a 35mm. Just as it is when you use an 80mm on the C645, being similar to a 50mm on a 35mm body.
Good luck
Colin

Colin,
now your comments are confusing Me [i'm dumb]. I'm now considering an adapter to use a Hassy 110FE lens on my Contax SLR. I was expecting it to behave exactly as a 35mm format 110mm lens would - a medium 'portrait' telephoto. But, what you seem to be saying is that it will have the properties of a 55mm lens on my 35mm SLR.... Er, isn't that what you're saying? Wait-

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000DMo

and:
http://www.zoerk.com/pages/p_mounta.htm

These two sites seem to suggest that what i was thinking is correct, right? The 110mm Hassy lens for the 6x6 format will be a 110mm lens on a 35mm SLR. On the Hassy, it's roughly equivalent to a slightly longer than 'normal' lens (55mm?), but on the 35mm camera it'll be a 110mm tele lens, right?

That's prolly what you're saying, too, but, as i said earlier.... duh.

So, to capsulize: the focal length, as measured/specified in millimeters, always stays the same. But, its field of view, or how it works relative to the film format does change.

Did i just make this worse?

And, back to the original question/comment - Yah, it's almost imperitive that Contax come out with some reasonably fast wide angle primes. My first choice would be a 35mm f1.4 or f2. This will be all the more important if they come out with a digital without a fullframe sensor. It would be inexcusable not to have a fast prime that will equate to a 'normal' (50mm) focal length. And, wider still lenses would be required to equate to 'wide-angle' primes. I can't see pros buying into a system that doesn't have these 'basic' components.

Derek. Sorry for the confusion. You are correct in stating that if you put a 110mm from a Hasselblad system onto your Contax 35mm you will get a 110mm short telephoto.(35mm camera reference point) What I was trying to say was that this same lens on the 6x6 Hasselblad format is a "normal"(around 60mm on 35 cameras)lens.It would also be an extreme wide angle on a 8x10 camera
Hope this helps.
Many people use the 35mm camera format as a default position.(reference point) Having cut my photographic teeth at aged 10yrs, on 6x9, that is my reference point! I was also trying to say that irrespective of the camera format the lens is used on, the focal length remains the same. Only the angle of view changes as a result of the camera format.
Colin

Any more info on a possible 28mm prime? I don't own a Contax yet, but I'd like to ditch my manual focus Pentax for an NX and a 50/1.4. I also need a 28mm but can't afford the zoom.

This will make or break the deal for me.

Back