DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax S2b

Juan: "sound reason to choose a Contax S2b over a Yashica FX-2 as"
new point, not mentioned so far:
1.)the S2/s2b very likely, as all contax bodies, has a second PC-flash terminal (whereas all yashica bodies unfortunately don't !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As I like to attach a second flash (e.g. 400Ws Ring Lite UR130Z)
so for me every camera body lacking this old 'ProntorCompur' sucks
another idea: or if you to want to connect some radio slave triggers...). 2.) flash sync 1/250s, yashica bodies only 1/90s - 1/125s
However, foMa rated the S2/s2b body a "blender"
Yashica 108MP has smooth noise, though. Have a great day

Juan,

if you want to have the least expensive back-up, then the yashica is a good choice. But I would suggest to think about what you would like to to with the camera in the urgent case.

If there are certain functions you are using in your shootings, a back up does not help you, if it is not offering these features.

I never needed a back-up camera and travelled already a lot.

I think the S2 is the most undervalued camera in the contax system. With the exception of the bad constructed rewinding knob (a shame) and the lacking combination spot/centerweighted metering (also a shame), this camera is perfect (without looking at the price). Very light, handy, simple and straight forward to use.

I would not buy it for over 500 Euro/USD in excellent condition second hand and definitely nerver for the then new price of around 1250 usd/euros.

Dirk

Thanks, Dirk. Your comments are very useful. The S2 is not easy to find at a good price-- many people seem to like it as much as you do.

I had an S2 some years ago and in many ways I liked it although it was not tremendously ergonomic with a 28-85 vario sonnar zoom. I did like the spot metering and the general ethos of such a camera (apart as other people have remarked,from the noise on releasing the shutter) but the main problem for me, as I recall, was the metering display being red on blue. I,like many other males, am "colour blind" on red and find it difficult to make out red on blue. It is the same with Powerpoint presentations when "Bullet points" are made on the screen as red on blue- intended to be very visible and to make a point. This was a problem.
It was also at this time that I found I could not focus very well and wondered if I needed autofocus but in fact this was resolved with later cameras by realizing that my eye sight was failing and I need glasses/diopter lenses etc.
I hope that this is of some help. I do not have any problems like this with my G2 or my Aria.
John

yes, fx-2 has a second flash-connector, an on-off-switch(lightmeter-neddle between + and - and 1/60 synchro. all metallic-beside some small covers.

fx-2 is quite ergonomic. its not too small and lightweight. 90Hx145WX50Dmm weight:w/o lens around 670 gramms, rubber-cloth-shutter, 1 sec -1/1000 + B mine must go to revision. from 1/60 to 1/1000 shutter has linear deviation between 1 to 5 DIN(1 Din=1/3 stop). buy this camera. maybe they are rare.

John and others, I´m pretty sure, that the meter readings are red on black. Having similar problems with color vision this causes definately no problems for "reading" my S2.

Dirk, why is the design of the rewinding knob a shame? For me the lack of an aperture setting display in the viewfinder is the most important nuisance.

Best regards,
Uwe

"why is the design of the rewinding knob a shame?"

Uwe,

this is difficult for me to explain in English. Normally the rewinding knob is either fixed, so that it can not torn the film while carrying the camera, or it has a small shift under the lever, so if the knob is not used for rewinding, it can not turn the film in the camera. This is normal with every camera whether no matter which brand.

On the S2/S2b, this rewind knob has no security feature for this problem at all. This is very bothering, since you risk to have kind of multiple exposures without wanting it. When you carry the camera to close on your body or in your bag, the rewinding know can turn around and therefore the film also turns around in the camera.

So you end up often with 2 pictures which are overlapped slightly. A rewinding knob is something very simple and basic and should not be designed this way in this price category.

The aperture setting, or the lack of its display, is not bothring me at all. O.k. I understand that it is an issue for many people, but I am used to a Leica M6 and there I see nothing in the display, even not the shutterspeed. Just arrows.

Leica is even so selfconfident to market it as "focus/concentration on the basics" and selling it for twice the price of the S2
happy.gif

I hope I could explain it good enough...

Dirk

The reason that I posed my question the other day about the expected service life support for the S2 is that I am exploring alternatives to my Leica M6. Whilst the M6 is a jewel in terms of it's build and optical performance there are drawbacks in use:-

a) as a spectacle wearer I struggle to see even the frame markings for the 35mm lens. To use a 28mm or shorter lens I would have to use a additional finder.

b) It is also difficult to focus with the 90mm lens as the area is really to small in the frame.

In my opinion the M6 is best used with lens no longer than 50mm maximum.

My search is to find an alternative to the M6 in terms of build and optical performance that will allow me a more effective choice of lens use. Hence my question about the S2 and its long term servicability which has not yet been answered.

Incidentally I have also posed this question to Kyocera office in the Uk but I have not yet had a response. I will let you know their answer if and when I get one.

In looking for a quality alternative to the M6 in a manual focus SLR in terms of size, weight, performance etc I had drawn a shortlist of potential candidates of
Contax S2
Nikon FM3A
Olympus OM4
Leica R
although with a preference for using Zeiss.

I discounted the Aria as I do not like plastic cameras.

Both Leica and Olympus have now of cousre discontinued their manual focus SLR range, so it looks as though my choice has narrowed down to either an obsolete S2 or a new Nikon FM3A.

I think it might make sense to summarize some points here about the S2 for people who are in a buying decision for a second hand model. When I started with this site, I have not had the time to write for all cameras I used a review right from the beginning.

Muchan (the member of the S2 gang) kindly helped me out here with his S2 experience. I think if you read this thread there is not so much left to mention, but a summary of my experience might put some things in the right light, especially after my criticism of some features.

1. Outfit S2/S2b

The S2 was build in memory of the Contax S from 1949 and follows the principles this concept in the past. I like the S2 a lot. I used to have 2 of them, both spot metering (silver body). I prefer the spot metering, since the nicest shots I took have been always in very difficult lightening situations and a center weighted metering (anthrazit body) is then not very helpful. For the day to day shooting spot metering is not the easiest way.

The camera looks really sexy, even better then my beloved RTS II. I like the classic design, the clean overview and basic operation. This is how a pure mechanical camera should be.

Although very light (565g) it is robust and solid build. In the inner part are some plastic parts which would have looked in black better then in grey. But this is a personal taste.

2. Features

As written in the S2 brochure (available in the scan section), “simple is best”. This is what I like at the S2, same as for my Leica M6. You will not find many features on the S2, but the one which are there are really essential.

The mirror lock up for ex&le is a very important feature for me. You can use it in combination with the 10 sec. selftimer. The mirror goes first up and 10 seconds later the picture will be taken. Flash syncro of 1/250 is for many people important, I sue flash very seldom. Shutterspeed of 1/4000 is great to have, especially if you need small DOF in bright light-situations.

Multiple exposures, on/off switch, DOF preview button and interchangeable focusing screens are very helpful features. The viewfinder has 95% field of view and 0.82 magnification, which makes manual focussing easier.

3. Handling

The first thing you will probably realize is the noise of the shutter. It is not really louder then a Leica R shutter noise, but I think because of the tiny size and the low weight, everybody would expect less noise. If you think about it, the shutter must have a kind of standard noise level, since all the mechanics are constructed for 1/4000 sec. There is a lot more speed you have to control for this. My N1 shutter is also louder then the Nx because of the higher speed capability. A Leica M6 makes 1/1000. That’s it. So no wonder that it is more silent (Konica Hexar with build in lens is more silent then the M6 by the way)

The second thing you will detect is the lack of the aperture in the viewfinder. Only the shutter speed is indicated. I do not mind, since it forces you more to think about what you are doing, looking at the DOF scale of your lens etc. and in my M6 I even do not have the speed indicated. So no reason to complain. Remember, the S2 is not made to shoot fast action. For this you should take an electronic camera with AF or at least aperture priority.

The viewfinder is bright and even with glasses easy to look through (but no RTSIII). Spot metering is very sensitive to changes as it should be. So concentrate on the circle if you compose your picture. You can see in the viewfinder the shutter speed (proposed and your own settings – if they do not overlap), flash mark, overexposure warning and underexposure warning. Sound like the luxury version of the M6 J

All signs are clearly visible on the right side of the viewfinder. It has a black background with white/transparent numbers which are on the specific setting red lighted.

The operation is smooth and logic. Actually there are no questions on how and what. No dials, buttons or switches you forget to turn on or off. A really relaxing photography instrument. The film-window on the back is really appreciated from a suffering RTS II and M6 user.

What I did not like was the solution for the film rewind knob and the film rewind crank. As described in another posting, there is no protection for accidentally winding/loosening the film while carrying the camera or moving in a bag. So you can end up with images which are either very close to each other or overlapping partly (if someone would find a technical solution as a modification for it, I would buy a S2 immediately again). And of course the spot metering and center-weighted metering combined in one body would make sense too.

For me the Contax S2 is the real answer of Contax to the Leica M6. except that one is an SLR and the other a rangefinder, The S2 has many features and advantages, why Leica users are buying a M6 J. If you then also compare the weight of the C/Y lenses vs. Leica M lenses, you will understand what I mean.

Summary of the most important points:

happy.gif
Very good quality
happy.gif
Very good viewfinder
happy.gif
Mirror lock-up via self-timer
happy.gif
Very light
happy.gif
Very compact
happy.gif
All mechanical
sad.gif
No combination spot and CW-metering possible
sad.gif
Film rewind knob and crank not fixable

Used available for around 500 USD/Euro in excellent condition. New not anymore available.

Back