DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Comparing offbrand close up filters

A

akjerstad

I can't afford the Canon close-up filter set, is there a difference between Hoya, Kenko, or Tiffen? Can somone recommend something?
Thanks,
Ann

I use the Nikon 3T (52 mm) and 5T (62 mm) with very good results. I think they are a bit less expensive than the Canon and of equal quality. The good ones are all 2 element achromatic and multi-coated. I don't think the ones you mention are 2 element, but it's a question you need to ask.

The Nikon 3T and 5T are 1.5 diopters strength and the 4T and 6T are 3 diopter. The Canon 500D is 2 diopter, and the 250D is 4 diopter. 4 diopter is pretty strong and not much use unless you're into ant photography. Short depth of field, you need a tripod, short working distances. I use the 5T with a Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II and a Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 1:2 macro. With the Tamron and the 5T, I can get 1:1 on my Elan 7N at reasonable working distances.

Jerry

Back