TLA 360 RTS III A Good Combination

K

kimd

Is the TLA 360 flash a good choice for the RTS III? What functions are lost when compared to using the TLA 360 on a newer camera with a 5 pin hot shoe (like the RX)?

Do the following functions still work?
- TTL direct light metering (ie. set flash to "TTL Auto")
- Pre-Flash TTL Auto Flash
- Fill Flash (ie. is it still easy to set up)
- Second curtain sync

I am aware that certain functions still work (ie. flash head zoom), but they must be set manually on the RTS III. Are these a hassle to set up?

Are there any other potential complications with the RTS III when using a flash - studio or otherwise?

How well do third party flashes like the Quantum QFlash T2 work with this camera?

Thanks,

Kim

M

mikel

Kim,

Actually, my personal opinion is that flashes in Contax line are not really good. I opted for Metz 54 MZ-3 (use it with my Aria) and I believe that it was a very good decision on my part. If you look through other threads on this site, you will find a lot of information about Metz and why many people prefer it to Contax TLA.

As far as Quantum QFlash is concerned, I think they have TTL modules for practically any camera out there and they're considered to be best flashes on the market. I personally don't have experience with it, but would have loved to try if price was reasonable.

Mike.

joanjordi

>Do the following functions still work?
- TTL direct light metering (ie. set flash to "TTL Auto")
- Pre-Flash TTL Auto Flash
- Fill Flash (ie. is it still easy to set up)
- Second curtain sync >
Kim,
When I was searching a new flash for my RTSIII I tested the TLA360 with 5-pin and the Metz 44-MZ-2 with 3-pin. Boht have these features with the RTSIII. Zoom have to set manually.

Metz 44 and TLA360 have the same gide number. Metz is sightly cheaper and have great quality.

Metz 54 is perhaps bulkier but is more powerful, has a bigger guide number than metz 44 and TLA360 both.

K

kimd

Joan,

Which flash did you end up with? Is it easy to get good results? Does the Pre-Flash metering work well with shoe mount flashes?

Kim.

wilsonlaidlaw

I completely concur with Mike. I was very disappointed in the TLA200 I purchased, apart from its very compact size. It seemed to produce very washed out looking photos and was not a patch on my slightly larger but very elderly Hanimex 34TZ-TTL. If I was buying now, I would go for one of the smaller Metz's. For a big flash I also don't think you can beat Metz. I have the 45CL-4 with the SCA3000/3802 control and as long as you have a truck to carry it around, it is a wonderful flash with pan and tilt, dual heads, flash output control, second curtain, etc, etc. Wilson

joanjordi

I got the Metz unit. It gets very good results for portraits, shooting in TTL mode with a diffuser filter put on the flash unit. I haven't now tested the pre-flash because my RTS unit was bought second hand and the pre-fash metering didn't work until a few days ago, when I've received repaired the camera .