Tmax Questions Resolution and Scanning

keoj

I just scanned my second roll of TMAX100 (using a 4000 ppi scanner) and the results are stunning. A quick observation and then some questions.

The results are arguably the best resolution that I have ever gotten (G2 with 45mm), period. The amount to detail is incredible!!!!!! Wow, this G2 does it again.

My Questions:

- Is it typical when one gets B&W back from a lab that there are micro scratches all over the negative,

- The negative is quite curled. Is it possible to "flatten" a negative over time?

- Anyone have any tricks on curves that work. I was pretty happy with setting up a deep contrast but would like to discuss this with someone who sort of knows what they are doing.

Thanks. Keoj

smartrav

To eliminate those micro scratches don't run the film though your camera. Since that's not possible, the next best thing is to use a processing lab that doesn't have a roller transport processor....rather a rack and tank. This way the film never comes into contact with rollers during processing. Then they must carefully "with gloves on" put the film in a protective sleeve. (Or do it all yourself.)

keoj

David:

Thanks....finally a reason. I never see the same issue with Slide, just negatives. With B&W, they stick out like a sore thumb (as pure white).

keoj

wilsonlaidlaw

Joe,
Canon have a scanner system/software package called FARE (Film Automatic Retouching and Enhancement) which scans the film with infra red. This eliminates a lot of the scratches you always seem to get on B&W even when you process it yourself. My suspicions on self processed film lie with the squeegee. I have been having quite good results from FARE even with old glass slides taken by my great grandfather over 100 years ago. My B&W scanning results have been better than my colour results, certainly when trying to scan and convert colour negatives, where I have been really struggling. I have ended up getting my colour negative films well printed and then scanning in 8" x 6" prints. I have also found that chromogenic B&W film such as Ilford XP2 seems to suffer less from scratching than silver halide films such as TMAX or HP5. Don't know why this should be except that the protective coating over the emulsion on chromogenic may be thicker. Why not give it a try? Wilson

bobbl46

Joe ..... how about you post some of your images?

You have wet my appertite from days long past!

Cheers, Kyocera Kid